Limited slip fluids in non-LS differential

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed that most gear oils say "LS", or limited slip on the bottle. Do the additives cause any problems in non-limited slip differentials? Would I have better gear protection using a fluid without the additives?

no prob running "LS" in the bottle in an open differential. your diff won't even notice the LS stuff is in there

Originally Posted By: dgee
no prob running "LS" in the bottle in an open differential. your diff won't even notice the LS stuff is in there

Quite right as the parts that need LS lube (usually clutch packs) are not there.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: vssjim
Who knows mabye the friction modifiers in LS lube may help in other ways.

I thought someone (perhaps Jim Allen) stated that if you do not need FM, then do not add it as it can affect the additives in the base stock (especially by using too much). With that said though, I think most of the synthetics these days have FM added to them and so it may be difficult to find a synthetic (if that is what the OP was inquiring about) that does not have FM in it.

Some LS additives (friction modifiers used to control the breakaway characteristics of limited slip clutches) will increase the oxidation rate of the oil, i.e. cause the oil to degrade more quickly. We have some profession confirmation of this but what we don't have is the knowledge of exactly which additives do that. It may also be a fading problem as new and better additives come to market. Bottom line, the safe bet is to avoid the LS additives unless you need them.

Would I be better off with a conventional without the additives or a synthetic with the additives?

Originally Posted By: rustypigeon
Would I be better off with a conventional without the additives or a synthetic with the additives?

In what? Your wallet would be better of with conventional without additives.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Some LS additives (friction modifiers used to control the breakaway characteristics of limited slip clutches) will increase the oxidation rate of the oil, i.e. cause the oil to degrade more quickly. We have some profession confirmation of this but what we don't have is the knowledge of exactly which additives do that. It may also be a fading problem as new and better additives come to market. Bottom line, the safe bet is to avoid the LS additives unless you need them.

Well put!

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen

Thanks Jim...that was it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back