PF47 Filter or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gang,

My son just bought a 2013 Chevrolet 1500 with the 4.3L V6. While reading the owner's manual I see that it uses a PF47 oil filter. I have no problem using OEM filters if they are of reasonably good construction, but it has been many years since I have owned a GM so I have no recent experience with them.

GM guys/gals--what say you? Obviously, there is a warranty to be concerned with, but I am just curious if the OEM filter is a good choice or should we look to another brand?

TIA!

PF47 classic filter is a decent filter. A lot of people on here don't like the new ecore acdelco filters, which is PF47e for the 4.3l.

If you want to go to a better filter, Purolator would be a good filter. I personally run the Pure one filter PL10111, but you can get the Purolator Classic L10111 at Walmart for less than the ACdelco filter and have a better quality filter.

Last edited:
There are now PF47 and PF47E filters. The E are ecore, a nylon center cage instead of a metal tube. GM will honor the warranty on either; I'm sure the dealers use the ecores. A decent filter to do the job; personal preference on how much you want to spend.

Stay away from the ecore version if you have the choice.

I would use the PF-52s. My Equinox had 47s and the 52 is identical in every way to the 47 but is a little longer and has more filter media. Lots of people use it without any issues. They made the 47 because of size constrictions in todays "congested" engine bays but a 1500 with the 4.3 is going to be cavernous in the engine bay.

I will also echo what people said in get the classics. The Ecores are smaller and garbage compared to the classics. Try rockauto.com. I searched for a 92 Chevy Blazer and bought 6 PF-52 classics to offset the shipping.

AAP for one has the AC Delco classics. We have two Chevy's that spec PF-47's I run PF-52 equivalents on them as well BUT you're under warranty don't do it.

I've had Chevy's for nearly 30 years and none have been particular about the filter, anything of name brand quality will do fine including the AC Delco's but stay away from the e-cores.

I'd use an e-core over a fram any day!

the dealer would have to prove the non OE filter caused any particular issue and in very rare cases, they can.
they'll just start throwing blame around and see if you get shaken up or not.

I'd go with Wix or Purolator myself.
You'd be surprised that the dealership may not use an actual GM filter, but the cheap e-core filter with AC Delco's name stamped on it.

I found one of these on my shelf recently, likely a refugee from a departed vehicle. Looks like a fine filter to me, nothing weird or chintzy.

Originally Posted By: EricF
I'd use an e-core over a fram any day!

the dealer would have to prove the non OE filter caused any particular issue and in very rare cases, they can.
they'll just start throwing blame around and see if you get shaken up or not.

I'd go with Wix or Purolator myself.
You'd be surprised that the dealership may not use an actual GM filter, but the cheap e-core filter with AC Delco's name stamped on it.

Thus making it considered OEM and no warranty worries

ive had no issues with E-cores. i have a montana van i run e-cores with M1 ep and change the oil once a year about 11k miles or so. no issues yet.

That core isn't that weak, if GM warranties the e-core for the life of the OLM it is good for however long that interval is weather it is 5k miles or 10k miles.

The Mobil-1 equivalent to the PF52 (M1-201) is only $8 on Amazon. Wix is more like $5 or so. I think the 3rd party brands usually offer a PF52 equivalent and not as often the PF47.
The PF52 is interchangeable with the PF47 as long as there's room for it. GM has listed both for the same engines going back decades. I couldn't say though if they list it on that particular truck, but it wouldn't be hard to check.

I used to use ACDelco PF52s, but that was about 10 years ago. From then until a couple years ago I wasn't driving a GM. In the interim, I read enough controversies about them supposedly cheapening out that I didn't go back to them.

take one huge step up to the AC Delco UPF 52(Ultraguard Gold).
Top of the line in filtration: can't beat 98% at 10, yes ten microns single pass efficiency

Old thread i know, but rock auto has the champion pf47 filters on closeout sale right now. Are they same as the ac delco pf47? These are not the E version.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Gang,

My son just bought a 2013 Chevrolet 1500 with the 4.3L V6. While reading the owner's manual I see that it uses a PF47 oil filter. I have no problem using OEM filters if they are of reasonably good construction, but it has been many years since I have owned a GM so I have no recent experience with them.

GM guys/gals--what say you? Obviously, there is a warranty to be concerned with, but I am just curious if the OEM filter is a good choice or should we look to another brand?

TIA!

AC Delco is very good. Personally I would opt for a wix but there's absolutely nothing wrong with that AC Delco

Originally Posted By: lockguy
Old thread i know, but rock auto has the champion pf47 filters on closeout sale right now. Are they same as the ac delco pf47? These are not the E version.

Champ makes the ACDelco classic style/early and the later ecore, so yes both styles are made by Champ to ACDelco specifications. Just installed a PF52E ecore today on my GM 3.1.

But do they make the champion labeled filters to Ac Delco standards? These are the same filter with different branding?

Is that for the 2005 Chevy Astro? The Champion Labs PH47 is an ecore. Don't know if it's built to the same specifications as the ACDelco ecore. It's a closeout, so it could be a very old filter. The cage spacing in the early ecore designed filters use to have wider spacing than they do now. Not sure what year they changed it. The Champ PHxx filters are jobber filters.

I agree with previous thread... Forget all the PF 47 vs 47E stuff, and if it physically clears, move up to UPF52, It was designed by GM for their high performance large displacement engines ( ie, Corvette, etc. )requiring high flow rates, and finer filtration ( smaller microns )... AC Delco had a website about 10 + yrs ago ( can't find anymore ) showing comparison lab tests of various filter manufactures per an SAE test standard of flow rates ( psi drop )and filtration rates ( micron efficiency ), and the UPF52 was superior in all categories to all competitors...
You have to order thru GM dealer or Amazon... $ 12-15 + range... For me and my 2003, and 2004, Buick Lasabre Limited's that each cost $ 36,000. new ... a few extra bucks is cheap insurance.. Once you cut one open, it's an even easier decision..... My opinion...

Originally Posted By: retiredfarmer
AC Delco had a website about 10 + yrs ago ( can't find anymore ) showing comparison lab tests of various filter manufactures per an SAE test standard of flow rates ( psi drop )and filtration rates ( micron efficiency ), and the UPF52 was superior in all categories to all competitors...

You mean this one? Shows pressure drop vs flow with cold thick oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back