Battery terminal grease yah or nay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And those felt washer that go under the terminals. I've never had a problem not using either in 20 years until this last battery I got from O'reilly's. But it was the crummy battery they sold me. I replaced it with a Dura last from AutoZone and didn't use either. I've never had corrosion problem with any AutoZone battery.

consider using chemically-treated felt terminal washer. It will chemically-neutralise the acidic gas from poor terminal sealing and will also shield the base of the battery terminal from chemically-contacting the battery connector.

Grease doesn't do much in my case (been using felts for over 10 yrs now).

Q.

Hello, Permatex sells a little 6 oz. can of spray terminal sealer. I saw it used for the first time when I bought a battery at a place where installation was included and I was away from home. I WILL NOT be without it ever again. I punch a nickel sized hole in a piece of paper and spray a clean post. Then I attach the clean clamp, mask off the top of he battery and spray the clamp. A little goes a long way. TOTALLY worth the money. I've never had corrosion ever. What's cool is that you never know what color it will be. Candy red, purple or green...it's all the same stuff. I do not work for the company. I swear an application works for years. Kira

I use a can of "Disk Brake Quiet" the red stuff you spray on the back of brake pads. Works great on battery terminals and if I remember correctly it was around the same price or cheaper than the battery terminal spray but its a much bigger can. Been using the stuff for years.

Anything oily will do, even Crisco or lard.

But nothing will stop corrosion from the terminals except a new battery, one that has NOT had its terminal connectors overtightened! It is astounding how many people damage their batteries that way.

In a high current connection you want as little voltage drop and therefore as little resistance as possible. A conductive material like Permatex copper antiseize is not a bad idea. I use the felts and change them out every couple of years. There are antiseize type materials which contain carbon particles as well, often used with CU/AL AC wiring connections. I wouldn't use an INSULATING grease between terminal and battery connector.

So is a leaking battery a reason to return it? I've always just put up with it as the battery seemed to last for quite a while anyways.

For the most part this stuff isn't necessary unless you park your car indoors (generally a good thing) or tend to run the battery down(not so much.) If you park indoors you can mitigate that problem by running a small fan. Habitually running the battery down is a whole issue of its own.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
So is a leaking battery a reason to return it? I've always just put up with it as the battery seemed to last for quite a while anyways.
Apparently consumer grade battery companies can't make a good strong terminal seal on a "sealed" battery. I have an inexpensive AGM for my bike, though, that doesn't leak a drop.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Cracked terminals do not affect the battery's operation as far as voltage goes. Cracked terminals do cause that fuzzy crud buildup, and they do eat up the terminals and wiring, all of which affects the car's operation.

You may find it to be impossible to "return" the battery for cracked terminals, unless you can prove the mishandling occurred before you took possession of the unit. About 99% of fuzzy corrosion is due to somebody overtightening the terminals, and the battery places are quite aware of this.

Im gonna try to clean my posts tommorow, do I put vaseline around the battery terminals before i reconnect the cables?

Also, which should i use? I have sandpaper, baking soda, and toothbrush on me. Dont have wire brush.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back