What's SOPUS equal to Formula Shellfull synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
saw that BJ has a $9 dollar rebate on the formula shell full synthetic 5W-30, and 10W-30. Was wondering if anyone knows what is the SOPUS equivalent (or at least the closest match) to this oil, i.e. QSUD full synthetic, PP, PU, etc.....

How does it stack up to the other PCMO synthetics in it's category? Doesn't seem to have a big following on BITOG.

Probably somewhere between QSUD and PP. Not much of a following because it hard to find except in warehouse clubs.

Probably = QSUD.
Formula Shell in all flavors is a good oil in limited distribution.
After all, how much shelf space can SOPUS buy at Wally?
Formula Shell seems to be relegated to a tier below Walmart, like the warehouse chains you now see it at.

Ok, so based on the few replies so far seems like BITOG'ers seem to put the SOPUS full synthetic PCMO's in the following order:

PU Euro (5W-30, 5W-40)-- BEST -- (= Shell Helix Ultra ???)
PU regular walmart flavor -- 2nd BEST
PP walmart flavor -- 3rd BEST
QSUD FS -- 4th BEST
FS FS -- Bringing up the REAR

Sounds about right?

BTW, Anyone have the specs on the FS FS.. can't seem to find it on the Shell site

Last edited:
I don't know that I'd put it quite that way.
There are differences between these oils that do not involve ranking or quality.
The Euro spec products are intended for applications demanding a high HTHSV oil.
API spec PP and Ultra have both proven to be reliable long drain oils, as can be observed in the UOA forum here.
QSUD is also a good product, with some pretty long drain UOAs in that forum showing good performance in demanding applications.
Formula Shell is a bit of a stepchild now, relegated to a limited discount distribution chain.
I think it would be a good oil in most applications for reasonable drain intervals.
There are some UOAs of Formula Shell in that forum and they look good.
No bad choices among these SOPUS oils, just like the many flavors of M1.

Went go BJ's yesterday and they had 2 different varieties of the FSFS 5W-30.... the grey bottle was $17.99 for case of 6 (including the $9 instant rebate), and the blue label was $18.99 for case of 6 including the rebate.

Both bottles had pretty much the exact same thing written on the back and had the same product numbers. they were also both SN formula.
So I am assuming that these are pretty much exact same thing considering price is only $1 difference for case of 6???

BTW, on a different question, does API SN have more Moly in it, than the SM flavor for FSWB, PYB, and FSFS?

here's some pics:
get-3.jpg

get-2.jpg

get-1.jpg

Last edited:
I would guess that the grey label is the latest version since it says '2012 SOPUS Products' while the blue label says '2011 SOPUS Products'.

Incidently, Johnny (the retired Pennzoil guru) once told me that FSFS was closer to QSFS than PP in it's makeup.
I had asked him about using 2 odd quarts of FSFS that I had left over from a previous BJ's sale and he said it was similar to the QS synthetics.

yeah..good catch...just got back from BJ's and picked up 3 cases. that's a really good deal if FSFS is close to QSFS in it's base/make-up. I would be extremely happy with that at about 3 dollars per quart.

BTW, at least at my BJ's the newer 2012 formula was $1 dollar less per case @ $26.99 versus $27.99 for the blue label 2011 bottles.

I was reading a few UOA's on this oil and the wear levels looked awsome even for the 5W-20 grade.

Last edited:
IMO...Formula Shell Full Synthetic, (FSFS) is in a class above QSUD.

I've used FSFS blended with Shell Rotella T6 and my engine ran very smooth.

Since Shell Rotella T6 comes in Gallon Jugs and I need 6+ quarts for a full sump, I've found that both blending both Shell products was an excellent choice for PCMO to get my fill.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I would guess that the grey label is the latest version since it says '2012 SOPUS Products' while the blue label says '2011 SOPUS Products'.

Incidently, Johnny (the retired Pennzoil guru) once told me that FSFS was closer to QSFS than PP in it's makeup.
I had asked him about using 2 odd quarts of FSFS that I had left over from a previous BJ's sale and he said it was similar to the QS synthetics.

I remember him talking about that. The reason he said it was closer to QS was that QS and FS both had add packs that were more about anit wear additives than cleaning ones, as opposed to PP and PU leaning more towards cleaning than anti wear.

From what I understood, cleaning and anti wear additives are constanly fighting each other during the OCI. AW adds are trying to cling to the metal and provide a lubrication boundry and the cleaning adds are trying to remove anything and everything from the metal.

I wish Johnny would chime in every once in a while. He's only 90 minutes from me, so now that the weather has turned colder he can't use the excuse of wanting to be outside with the grandkids anymore.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back