Techron...really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daz

I have researched this subject but i'm still a bit skeptical. A lot of people swear it works, but is there proof? It just strikes me that having spent a lifetime trying different chemicals in every imaginable cleaning application imaginable that to remove carbon in a combustion chamber with a tiny bit of chemical mixed into the fuel just seems impossible. I can see using it in every tank as maintenance and i imagine that could help keep it clean. But once baked onto the surface that stuff is on there like rock. to think you could run 2 or 3 tanks of gas with a few oz of this stuff in it and remove the carbon seems fictional at best. I WANT to believe it, but i need proof. Has anyone really seen the results first hand, and if so how?

Have you looked on the Chevron website? I doubt too many people shove an inspection camera into the cylinder before and after to verify results. Its also suppose to clean fuel injectors.

But this is what dealers use. And most people agree that a PEA based cleaner does the best job.

Of course with respect to fuel injectors if they are really bad then need to be cleaned, rebuilt and tested. Nothing through the gas tank or fuel rail will do what an ultrasonic cleaning will do.

As for carbon deposits, how do you know you have any?

My guess is many people use Techron (or a wide range of stuff you add to the gas) when the problem is elsewhere.

Most fuel now days is so clean, it probably doesn't need Techron. Techron was out in the 1980s as far as I can remember. It worked back then. Chevron fuel has some Techron in it, so if you run that stuff you don't need an extra bottle every 3000 miles.

To clarify, Chevron gas does contain small doses of Techron. Those are "maintenance" doses that should keep things clean with regular use.

The Techron Concentrate you buy for $6 at the store is different -- it's considerably stronger and is meant for occasional use to clean up anything that may have formed (perhaps from using non-Chevron gas, etc).

Techron is rich in PEA, a proven and well-known cleaner.

I think it's a game of expectations. It (pea) was patented and it does work to some degree. On the other hand, I have yet to see a gummed up carb fixed by it, and even running it a whole summer in a mower the carb wasn't much better for it. I don't have any way to do teardown or cylinder bore inspections... but lots of carbs from craigslist finds.

Originally Posted By: dparm
To clarify, Chevron gas does contain small doses of Techron. Those are "maintenance" doses that should keep things clean with regular use.

The Techron Concentrate you buy for $6 at the store is different -- it's considerably stronger and is meant for occasional use to clean up anything that may have formed (perhaps from using non-Chevron gas, etc).

Techron is rich in PEA, a proven and well-known cleaner.

+1

I use Techron Concentrate Fuel System Cleaner once every 2 years a month before doing smog test.

No need to use it every 3k miles as recommended by Chevron.

BMW engines had problems with intake valves acumulating crud on the back of the valves which caused poor running. BMW and Chevron worked on a solution to prevent entake valve problems and the result was Techron. Before that BMW was required to blast off the intake valve crud with walnut shells. Techron is good stuff and has saved a friends Volvo who could not pass emission testing in IL befor a Techron filling. Ed

Last edited:
I owned a 81 BMW that needed a bottle of techron about every 3k. Otherwise I would get some detonation and poor performance. This was in the mid and late 80's so fuel quality probably was not as good. I still use it but not nearly so frequent.

Of course Techron and it's clones work.
Realize that Top Tier gasolines all use it, in a diluted form.
You can be sure they would not do it if something better was available, or if it did no good.

It is not a firehose effect, but chemistry.
Walter White would understand!

[Breaking Bad]

Last edited:
Yes it works.

I used Techron then Gumout Complete Fuel System cleaner in a fuel injected Ford that would struggle to exceed 70mph.

It now gets to 100mph very easily and fuel economy has improved significantly.

It took a few years of non top tier fuel and short trips to bring about the deterioration.

A sign that this was needed was an extremely dirty throttle body.

PEA is the real deal.

Thanks all. From your responses it seems it definitely works. I don't necessarily have issues with carbon deposits or dirty injectors. I just want to know that if it works so that i know it's worth while is for no other reason than peace of mind. I have a bike that is my baby and i just wanted to insure that it's clean of any buildup, so i needed to know if it really works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back