Platinums vs Iridium spark plugs, I dont get it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to get too far off topic, but the Mazda MZR engine (4cyl especially) is not a duratec.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: dailydriver

THIS is why I went with the NGK Laser Iridiums vs. the Densos (besides not liking their parent/owning company very much), or even the less costly, but much shorter-lived, NGK Iridium IXes, or copper V-powers.

So tell us, why don't you like Denso?

I'm allowed to not like the Nippon Giant(even IF they are only a 'partial' owner), just as you cannot stand most of the domestic nameplates (but mainly ONE, for various {Randian??} reasons of your own).
I refuse to get into it here and start a ****storm.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Denso products are at least as good as comparable NGK if not better.

I agree, they may very well be even better than NGK products, and NEVER said that they were not, just that the Lasers last longer than the 0.4mm tipped Denso Iridiums.
wink.gif

GC4 -
Most mechs/techs will use Bosch plugs only in a car that came with them. This is a learned thing over years.
It has nothing to do with being multiple electrode type. The old ones were very iffy, too.
Their imbedded fine wire platinum in the insulator stunk.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Car spark plugs are resistor type.
So who cares what the core is? It is modulated anyways.
The heat range is also controlled by many factors.
Once again, who cares how they do it?

Tips?
Plain steel rocks the house. However, NOT long lasting at it's peak. A silly short life in today's cars.
Precious metals last a long time. Double tips are invaluable for waste spark ignitions.
Iridium or Platinum?
For me. Plats are so good, why go out of my way for theoretical or potentially better iridium?

Heat range is #1. As cool as possible, and still being able to keep clean in all conditions. Extended insulator tips [almost universal] are great for wide heat ranges.

BTW, not only do I gap precious metal tipped plugs, but also back file the steel side electrode for better gas in/out, AND often dress/file old Plat tips as well! They do wear and get rounded.

Platinum plugs are OEM for my cars, from LS400 to Honda S2000.

Why Honda uses Platinum plugs in the 9,000 RPM engines ? If Iridium is better than Platinum then Honda would use it, after all the cost is only $8-10 more for 4 plugs.

Actually, Honda does now use iridium across every engine I'm aware of. My guess is that Honda changed the spec for the S2000 from platinum to iridium plugs at some point between yours and when production ended a few years ago. My 1998 Honda Civic EX (D16Y8) had copper plugs, my 2000 Accord EX (F23A4) came with platinum plugs and when I swapped it to the Denso fine tipped iridium (there wasn't another choice then) around 30k miles the idle was noticeably smoother, to the point I could balance a Kwikset house key on the valve cover, a feat that couldn't be duplicated with the OEM platinum plugs (though I couldn't say I noticed any tangible advantage to them). My 2005 CR-V (K24A1) came with iridium plugs as did my 2008 Civic Si (K20Z3). Bottom line is that spark plug technology has changed and while one technology might be just fine for your application, it doesn't necessarily mean that another newer technology that nearly everyone in the industry is using today isn't better.

I went with OEM old school NGK V-groove for my 2000 Civic HX. Will change at 30k intervals. Wasn't sure if plat/iri would change anything with how it runs since it is VTEC-E with lean-burn, so I wanted to keep it to factory.

I have no problems with iridium. They should be the best.
But I'm not leaving plugs in for over 50k on my own cars.
That is why stock plats are just fine with me. [plats can also go 100k+, BTW]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back