Why put mineral spirits in your oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know some of you put Marvel Mystery Oil in your crankcase. The instructions on the bottle say to replace 1 of the 5 quarts of oil during an oil change with MMO. The MSDS says it contains roughly 25% mineral spirits. Why would someone put mineral spirits in their crankcase if there was nothing wrong with the engine. I know people that will do it as a last resort before tearing down a motor.

Last edited:
Why are you taking swings at a hornets nest with a tennis racket?

I have used it to clean up my old civics black caked on deposits in the head, worked pretty well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not taking a swing, I was just wondering why. Does the mineral spirits evaporate fairly quickly? The boiling point of Mineral Spirits is below 200F, but I don't know if that would include when it is mixed with oil.

Mineral Spirits doesn't just thin the oil, it is a solvent. I can't think of the proper term, but I think it moves oil out of the way, or breaks down its adhesion to metal surfaces.

Last edited:
MMO while it may help with cleaning, it hurts the lubricity properties of oil. But its your engine not mine.

But people have been using it for years and doubtful anyone has done a lot of scientific testing.

I think it's wildly over-used. But, stoddard solvent... aka mineral spirits... is a solvent. I imagine in many situations it helps clean. I also think it burns off pretty quickly which isn't the best thing.

I do use MMO in the fuel at times but never in the oil. Never had a need to clean an engine as I always use M1.

Why not check our UOA section for "data" and see how it effects the oil and engine wear. From what I've seen TBN takes a hit, but then again if you're looking to clean an engine up why would you run an extended OCI? Most of the time neglect, and running an oil too long is the cause of problems, many times MMO is the cure.

For those interested here's what's in MMO, found here on this site.

70% Light Aromatic Oil (Pale Oil)
- It is a Naphthenic Oil, so while it oxidizes faster than a Paraffinic oil, it does clean and dissolve sludge and carbon well and cleans up after itself from any oxidation. serves as base oil as well. [Naphthenic oils have more solvency and are more polar (they are attracted to metal more), but oxidize faster.

29% Mineral Spirits
- Cleans Varnish very well. General cleaner. Also acts as an antioxidant.

38 parts per million (ppm) Boron
- AW/EP agent, friction reducer, antioxidant

900 ppm Phosporous
- AW/EP agent

1/2% 1, 2 ortho-Dichlorobenzene
- EP agent as it interacts with Iron to form an Iron chloride barrier under any ZDDP or other AW additives. Also very good cleaner/solvent, and friction reducer

1/4% 1, 4 para-Dichlorobenzene
- EP agent as it interacts with Iron to form an Iron chloride barrier under any ZDDP or other AW additives. Also very good cleaner/solvent, and friction reducer

Oil of wintergreen - for the scent
- Not just for the cent, is also a cleaner. may aid lubricity.

Red Dye - for the color
- well this one just colors the stuff

I don't think it contains Phosphorus or Boron anymore.

This is what the MSDS on their website shows.

o-Dichlorobenzene
(1,2-Dichlorobenzene (ortho-dichlorobenzene))
Fine White Mineral Oil
Mineral Spirits

That's it.

Originally Posted By: Loobed

I don't think it contains Phosphorus or Boron anymore.

This is what the MSDS on their website shows.

o-Dichlorobenzene
(1,2-Dichlorobenzene (ortho-dichlorobenzene))
Fine White Mineral Oil
Mineral Spirits

That's it.

That was posted on our site, a few times over the years, I borrowed it. The formual hasn't changed, take it FWIW. You can always call and ask.

Here's link to an old thread, an interesting read.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2115520&page=1

Also visit the UOA section and see how it does in UOA reports.

IIRC all an MSDS tells you is what is hazardous in the product, and how to handle it safely. I don't think it is a complete chemical analysis of the product.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Loobed

OK, I thought Phosphorus was hazardous.

I don't write the MSDS sheets, it could be based on percentages, I really don't know. I'd call and ask.

Ive used it to clean out neglected motors along with Rislone. My old G body with a 305 had really iffy oil pressure due to sludge that came back strong after a couple short OCI's with MMO and HDEO.

Went from about 10psi at an idle to 30 when warm. It has its uses, but in a motor without sludge and deposits, its not needed.

Mineral spirits make a great filler in fuel and oil additives.

A penny sized tablet of active ingredients for $10, or a man sized jug of additive for $10...which would sell more ?

Even with the same amount of active ingredient ?

Funny thing about Mineral Spirits, I can add it to oil based paints w/o a problem, however MMO will ruin oil based paints, why? I mean Mineral Spirits is Mineral Spirits isn't it? I often laugh when people make generalizations about products, especially products they've never used. MMO is apparently more than just Mineral Spirits.

Read the OP...he says that the MSDS says roughly 25% mineral spirits, and is asking why it's in there ?

The other 75% could be what's messing with your paint.

The Mineral Spirits plus the other 75% of other ingredients working together is what is responsible for cleaning an engine and quieting noisy lifters, and what makes MMO work for so many satisfied customers. My point was directed at the title, "Why put mineral spirits in your oil?" If MMO was strictly Mineral Spirits it could be added to paint, its more than just Mineral Spirits, I used an example to prove that.

You said "A penny sized tablet of active ingredients for $10, or a man sized jug of additive for $10...which would sell more"

Care to elaborate on what is penny sized? Have you bought Mineral Spirits lately? That is only 25% of MMO, any idea what the other stuff costs? Just wondering.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

70% Light Aromatic Oil (Pale Oil)
- It is a Naphthenic Oil, so while it oxidizes faster than a Paraffinic oil, it does clean and dissolve sludge and carbon well and cleans up after itself from any oxidation. serves as base oil as well. [Naphthenic oils have more solvency and are more polar (they are attracted to metal more), but oxidize faster.

I read some research and patents that showed that naththenic oil plus antioxidants performs better than paraffinic, on par with best synthetic oils. I guess naththenic oil got bad rap back when when no antioxidants were used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back