Fuel system cleaner vs. Fuel injector cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always wondered this, but never thought to ask up until now. Whats the difference between a fuel system cleaner and a fuel injector cleaner? I know one is claimed to be a complete fuel system cleaner while the other is aimed more at cleaning up the injectors and top end, but is there a whole lot of difference chemically? I'm thinking along the lines of the Chevron stuff since that is what I usually use. I usually go with the fuel system cleaner, but wondered if there is any benefit to using the injector cleaner as a maintnance dose.

I'd guess it's what's in there more than the name. If one has PEA while the other has Stoddard solvent, get the one with the PEA.

Ive wondered the same thing about the Chevron bottles.
I end up picking the fuel system cleaner.
Especially when I started seeing alot of sulfur related problems on fuel sending units giving erratic fuel tank readings.

it seems like a shotgun approach to consumers. i wouldn't be surprised if the formula is practically the same except a lil more ingredient w/ the one that costs more.

Well if you look at the gumout stuff, the fuel injector and carb cleaner does not make any mention of containing anything but solvents. The fuel system cleaner does mention PEA in the "caution contains" part. So I am guessing that for some products the injector cleaner is more solvent based, while the system cleaner also contains extra detergents.

As far as gumout products are concerned, only Regane line is good. The other bottles even though they look very similar are pretty much useless.

+2 PEA....

Probably THE most effective fuel system detergent around, not only that it is the ONLY one known that not only cleans carbon and other residue from other non PEA detergents....but it leaves NO trace of itself behind as a residue. PEA truly does leave a fuel system as clean and free from deposits as possible.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
As far as gumout products are concerned, only Regane line is good. The other bottles even though they look very similar are pretty much useless.

Not completely correct. The All-In-One is the best buy out of the three that you should choose from (the other 2 being the Regane products).

Why do I say this:

1) Read this interview with the people from Gumout. They say High Mileage Regane vs Complete Regane is the addition of friction modifier. All-In-One has even more friction modifier.

Gumout Interview

2) Prior to seeing this interview, I relied on the following to conclude that All-In-One was the best buy:

a) 6oz Regane treats 21 gallons. 10oz All-In-One treats 35 gallons. This is exactly the same ratio of product to treatment.
b) The scientific studies on PEA state that there is a range that is an optimal dose. The ratio of product to treatment is constant between Regane and All-In-One so this highly suggests Gumout is just making different versions of essentially the same thing (PEA).
c) The Gumout website shows a clear comparison of cleaning capabilities. In it, All-In-One does everything that Regane products do.
d) I used All-In-One in the recommended dosage and noticed the difference. In fact, I used it after Techron on a very neglected car and it finished the cleaning job.

Value for money: A 10oz bottle is 67% more than a 6oz bottle which means All-In-One is a better buy than either of the Regane products at regular prices.

It's also a nice quantity to have because that 10oz bottle will effectively treat 2 tanks of approx 17.5 gallons each, which is an average tank size. I have 2 cars, one with an 18 gallon tank and another with a 16 gallon tank. They both get annual oil changes so I use one 10oz Gumout bottle in 2 cars every year just before the oil change.

The other advantage of All-In-One (and High Mileage Regane) is that they both contain a friction modifier. Out of the other options for fuel system cleaner, only Redline is more than a cleaner in that it also contains an UCL.

So for me, the only choices from a price and functionality point of view are the Gumout All-In-One and the Redline.

Lastly, Gumout All-In-One is typically cheaper, especially if you pick it up at Big Lots for half price as I did.

Last edited:
All-in-One is the part of the Regane group including Regane and High Mileage Regane. Gumout also sells similar looking bottles called fuel injector cleaner or something like that and those are the ones which are pretty much useless.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
All-in-One is the part of the Regane group including Regane and High Mileage Regane. Gumout also sells similar looking bottles called fuel injector cleaner or something like that and those are the ones which are pretty much useless.

Yes it is but it doesn't say "Regane" on the bottle so your initial statement could have been interpreted to not buy All-In-One.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back