I need a new Mountain bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sold my mountain bike(giant) a few years ago when I lived in the city and had access to thousands of miles of paved bike trails. I built up a specialized road bike to meet my 6'3 275 pound needs. Now I live in the country on acreage and their is nothing but dirt. My road bike is sitting in my shop just collecting dust.

I miss riding and the relief from stress it provided. I need that back.

So I'm looking for an all steel frame mountain bike. I would like to stay under a grand if possible.

I'm a good distance from my old bike shop and over an hour and a half from any other bike shop option so it will be tough just going and trying stuff out. I need to narrow down a few choices to try.

What should I look at within my budget?

I'd definitely look at a 29'er. It's almost like full suspension, without the hassle. I'm all for supporting your local bike shop, but since you don't really have one, you should consider this: http://www.airbornebicycles.com/products/97-goblin.aspx

Yeah, it's aluminum, but the parts kit alone is worth it. You could always upgrade the frame if you felt it necessary, though to be honest the bigger wheels will provide enough suspension effect. There aren't a lot of good steel options @ the 1K price point. This would probably be the closest, but it's pushing the price up quite a bit: http://www.raleighusa.com/archive/2012-mountain/xxixg-12/

I like the 2x10 setup on the Airborne. Triple cranks always shift poorly, and a 2x10 just makes sense. If you can't ride up it with a 26x36, you're better off walking anyway... For the price, that's the most you'll get for your $$ for a grand.

YUcca,

I too am larger than average... 6'3" 245lbs.Several years ago I broke my steel framed Giant. I didn't feel comfortable fixing it so I looked for a new one. I was fortunate to have several bike shops close by when I was shopping for a bike. I went to a local shop and when I told the sales guy I was looking for a mountain bike, he sent me to a competitor store and told me to get the Specialized Rockhopper and enjoy it. That is exactly what I did! I love the bike! I have put the thing through "hail" and it only has a few scratches to show for it. The frame is Aluminum but it is as tough as they come. YOu can get them all dressed up with Rock Shox, Disc brakes and good components for less than $800!

Last edited:
I'm 6ft4, 250ish, and ride some decent terrain. I love my scott scale 29er. Many 29er bikes seem sluggish to me.

There are so many options.
Would definitely go see a shop if possible and try some on for size.

Honestly its hard any more to recommend one brand over another, they all do the same thing, some are more competitive fo their pricepoint but that is really the only differences with bikes for casual riders. I've had all kinds of brands and they all were fine.

I'm a Specialized and Giant fan myself.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not at all familiar with the airborne branded product but I will research it a little more.

The rockhopper interest me and I will ride one when I get to town. I would not mind putting a set of 36 hole rims and a rigid fork on one.

I have been looking at a kona steely right now. If I can find a shop that has one in a 20" within a couple of hours I will go ride it.

Some good advice above. Airborne is good bang for the buck. Surly makes some top notch stuff but is more expensive. With your size I'd go the 29er way as well.

I have a carbon 29er, and my 5'2 girlfriend has a 29er as well. We both love ours.

surlybikes.com

any bike shop can get them, straight ahead, simple steel bikes designed by riders, 4130 cro-mo steel, economical, good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back