Techron and Direct Injection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Funny how a lot of the automakers are so against additives in fuel or oil, but are now recommending a product to add to fuel in DI engines. I wonder if they know something about DI many of us already know, and are hoping the additive will help.
confused.gif

As far as I know, even petrol DI engine can produce a lot of carbon during acceleration like diesel, so the additive may help to minimize the carbon deposited on the combustion chamber.

11/1 compression is not really the net pressure. Depending on valve timing, actual compression pressure is kept low.
Valve timing is a HUGE factor. Cruising with light throttle will get the most efficiency out of the 11/1s.
I know of 12.5/1 street bikes with 135-140 cranking compression - quite low because of hot cams.
Anyway, for any FI system, a good Techron cleaner once or twice a year is great. Combustion chamber deposits, and the fuel system are made cleaner. Injectors spray better and are more evenly matched.
This will not help with valve deposits on DI engines, but it is still very worthwhile to do.

Yes, it is high.
Remember when turbo versions of cars had 7.5 or so compression?
Precise tuning and fuel control help, but it is the variable valve timing that allows such high compression.

Originally Posted By: JackB1
I have always used Techron but now have a CTS with 3.6 DI engine and some folks have been telling me that with a DI engine I am wasting my money using Techron. Would appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

JackB1,

My brothers uses Chevron "midgrade" most of the time in his Caddy "CTS" and never had any issues a all. I personally see no reason why you couldn't add any extra Techron. It won't hurt and who know what happens inside during usage. I'm much sure adding an extra here and there is better than none.

Durango

Gunk builds up on the backside of intake valves BECAUSE the injector is spraying fuel onto a hot valve where it instantly turns gaseous and deposits residue.

With direct injection the fuel is injected into the chamber and never hits the backside of the intake valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back