UOA article - what is "normal"

FANTASTIC.!!! This site needed this information as it answers a lot of important questions around UOA's and how to interpret them.

Great Job!

It is a good article. Where can we find the resultant data they have for each engine?

Last edited:
As I mention in the article, Blackstone (and most any other lab) does not keep statistical data, they only keep the raw numbers. And Blackstone does provide the "universal average". But as I've shown, that UA data has significant potential to be skewed. Although, that data would never be skewed down, but only up. So as long as you were near or below average, your numbers are probably OK.

Further, different labs use diffeernt testing methods and condemtnation numbers. You really have to know the specifics of each lab. My point in the article is that way too many people misunderstand how/why to use a UOA.

I doubt Blackstone, or any lab, really has the time/resources to hand out data for every single piece of equipment family they test lubes for. I worked with Blackstone for this article, as part of the relationship BITOG and Blackstone have as partnered sponsors. I hope most would agree that this relationship is a "win/win" for BITOG and Blackstone.

Thanks for that TON of information. I have read it - sort of - and need to read it again. NOW, a question.I have a friend here in Indy who has a 524TD engine, used very little, in a motor home. Appears to be in great condition - low mileage, etc. In the family for years, usually sitting. He is thinking about pulling it out and replacing it with an Olds v-8 and trans axle.This is well within his usual expertise. This will provide a substantial improvement in performance, if no problems. I am suggesting he run the diesel in the spring, and then get a thorough oil test. Thought is it might be worth something extra with better documentation. There are no engine problems except the significant performance difference from a v-8. Thoughts as to suggestions? Thanks!

Back