2013 Ford Explorer 3.5L

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2013 Explorer with a 3.5L Duratec engine.

I'd like to follow the OLM recommendations. Definitely running the Motorcraft filters.

I've looked all over for UOAs for the new Explorers and have only found one.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372188

Of course Ford specs their 5w20 oil, which is a good oil. However, at the rate the OLM is moving, the interval will be at around 10,000 miles.

I'm considering doing the first change with the Motorcraft 5w20 blend, and maybe running 7k and sending off for a UOA to validate the OLM's suggestions.

Opinions? Anyone know of any data for this engine?

I have this engine in a Mercury Sable. I have been using 5W20 synthetic at 7500 oil changes. Sometimes it'll go to 8000 miles. Currently it has QSUD and a Pureone filter.
Another oil I have used is PP. Performs flawlessly and is shiney clean inside.
I bought the Pureone filters cheap from Amazon. Otherwise I usually buy a Motorcraft from Walmart.

I am about to receive the same vehicle same engine as a company car and will probably take delivery of it late this year, Deep Impact Blue(replacing a 2008 Explorer). Looking forward to it.

It will receive a steady diet of Kendall SynBlend and Firestone filters every 5K miles because that's how the fleet maintenance agreement works. With alomost 80K miles on the current Explorer, all looks and performs well.

How do you like your new Explorer? I have never driven one, but I do like the way they look on the outside and am looking forward to trading the old and underpowered 4.0L V6 in a 5000lb truck for the new and imporved 3.5L in a vehicle that weighs a few hundred lbs less.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ddub
I am about to receive the same vehicle same engine as a company car and will probably take delivery of it late this year, Deep Impact Blue(replacing a 2008 Explorer). Looking forward to it.

It will receive a steady diet of Kendall SynBlend and Firestone filters every 5K miles because that's how the fleet maintenance agreement works. With alomost 80K miles on the current Explorer, all looks and performs well.

How do you like your new Explorer? I have never driven one, but I do like the way they look on the outside and am looking forward to trading the old and underpowered 4.0L V6 in a 5000lb truck for the new and imporved 3.5L in a vehicle that weighs a few hundred lbs less.

Ours is the Deep Impact Blue. We went from a 1998 Explorer to this one. It is a completely different vehicle. The old Explorer was truck-like, whereas this one is more like a car. In fact I think its based upon the Taurus platform.

We got it back in August and we've driven it from Oklahoma to Florida and back. It drove great. Its really quiet, gets good mileage, and overall seems to be a good vehicle.

I'm a little disappointed in the MyFord Touch component. Even after several years of tweaking Ford hasn't got all of the kinks out of it yet. Specifically the bluetooth stuff has a lot of quirks. The turn signals are also a bit different. Half-way down for momentary signals, and push down hard for standard operation. I tended to flash my brights when using them until I got used to it.

Originally Posted By: nnichols
Originally Posted By: Ddub

Ours is the Deep Impact Blue. We went from a 1998 Explorer to this one. It is a completely different vehicle. The old Explorer was truck-like, whereas this one is more like a car. In fact I think its based upon the Taurus platform.

We got it back in August and we've driven it from Oklahoma to Florida and back. It drove great. Its really quiet, gets good mileage, and overall seems to be a good vehicle.

I'm a little disappointed in the MyFord Touch component. Even after several years of tweaking Ford hasn't got all of the kinks out of it yet. Specifically the bluetooth stuff has a lot of quirks. The turn signals are also a bit different. Half-way down for momentary signals, and push down hard for standard operation. I tended to flash my brights when using them until I got used to it.

Cool. Thanks for the reply. My current one is a Limited, but my new one will be the base model so I will not have the MyFordTouch. I did pay a little extra out of pocket for Sync because I am used to all of those functions (especially the Bluetooth) on my current one. I am looking forward to it. Sorry I wasn't much help on the oil question, but I can tell you anecdotally at least, that the Kendall SynBlend and Firestone filters agree with my 2008. I always check the oil prior to it being changed, and it is always light in color, does not use any oil I can tell during a 5K oci, and looking down the fill hole is nice and clean. All unscientific I know, but I am not going to conduct a UOA on a company car. Based on how I treat my wife's car, your 7K OCI with Motorcraft SynBlend and Motorcraft filters sounds like a solid and dependable plan. I'll check back to see if you post a UOA later. I also use a bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner every OCI; just my preference and it certainly doesn't hurt anything.

Last edited:
I'd follow every spec in the manual. The engine has been around for awhile in some form. It's reliable. Unless Ford has changed their specs in the past few years, you have to also pay attention to mileage and time. Typically, it's OLM, xthousand miles, or 6 months -- whichever comes first. I wouldn't go the full 7000 or OLM on the first factory fill, but that's just me. I've been changing mine every 6 months. I'm typically around 6,000 miles around then. It does well on any oil that meets Ford's spec.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
I'd follow every spec in the manual. The engine has been around for awhile in some form.

Since 2007, the 3.5 was a clean sheet architecture totally unrelated to the 3.0 Duratec.

They have proven very reliable though.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
I'd follow every spec in the manual. The engine has been around for awhile in some form.

Since 2007, the 3.5 was a clean sheet architecture totally unrelated to the 3.0 Duratec.

And I've found very few UOAs (if any) for this engine.

Right now I'm leaning towards Pennzoil Platinum and the OLM recommendation.

I have a 2009 5.4L powered F150, spec'd to use 5W-20. It now has 50,000 miles on it and a number of oil changes under it's belt.

Here is what I've noticed. The cam phasers make noise at idle with the standard M1, but are quiet with the M1 5W-20 Extended Performance.

There is no question the "EP" oil is a bit more viscous here in South Florida temps, while pouring out of the bottle.

I obviously can't say which is better, but the engine sounds considerably better on EP.

The mileage varies greatly depending on how it is driven.

On the trip from Oklahoma City to Florida I averaged around 23. However, I managed to pull off 26 from Dallas to Oklahoma City. From what I can tell so far the onboard mileage calculation is fairly accurate. The more I use the cruse control the better it gets, which makes sense.

Good to see you are in the low to mid 20's on the highway. I am looking forward the the better mileage, but not so much the smaller gas of the new Explorer. My 2008 is an absolute pig on mileage. 15-16 around town and I really have to baby it to see 20-21 on the highway. If I'm actually trying to make time and cruise above 75mph, it's back down into the 18 range on the highway. I had a Toyota Tundra double cab 4.7L V8 that got better real world mileage.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

I know, and I guess 5 yrs isn't that long. I just wanted OP to know that the isn't new to the Explorer (2011). The 3.5 seems quite durable, and I have not read of any issues. They did add Ti-VCT along the way -- in order to find some additional horses.

I decided to go with Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 and the stock FL-500S filter.

Wal-Mart had 5 qt jugs for $24.97 with an instant $5 off each, plus a send-in offer for a $10 Shell card.

The actual change wasn't too bad. The is the first Ford that I've had that doesn't require you to let oil run all over parts of the undercarriage to drain the oil and the filter.

Last edited:
NN: How did your 3.5L react to the PP? Any noticeable difference in idle sound or any particular thing you noticed? I just bought my wife a 2012 Edge Limited with the the 3.5L. It will be mostly driven highway sincereltherere wife has a company car. Going to do once a year oil changes. Either going to use M1 or PU 5W-20. Just wonders your thoughts on their PP so far.

I will stop using my phone to post! That is horrible. I find myself wondering why I bought a car with a Direct Injection engine. With all the exhaust valve deposit problems the DI motors have. Back to the oil--> I might even go with M1 0W-20 or Amsoil. Oil life is still showing 55% so I have some time to make a final choice.

Originally Posted By: -SyN-
I will stop using my phone to post! That is horrible. I find myself wondering why I bought a car with a Direct Injection engine. With all the exhaust valve deposit problems the DI motors have. Back to the oil--> I might even go with M1 0W-20 or Amsoil. Oil life is still showing 55% so I have some time to make a final choice.

Your Edge 3.5 doesn't have DI, the power bump in 2011 came from adding VCT to the exhaust cams. Previous Edge 3.5s only had VCT on the intake cams.

Originally Posted By: -SyN-
NN: How did your 3.5L react to the PP? Any noticeable difference in idle sound or any particular thing you noticed? I just bought my wife a 2012 Edge Limited with the the 3.5L. It will be mostly driven highway sincereltherere wife has a company car. Going to do once a year oil changes. Either going to use M1 or PU 5W-20. Just wonders your thoughts on their PP so far.

Honestly it couldn't tell any difference at all. Its been a ver quiet engine from day one. I may do a UOA after this fill, although I am considering going two changes before the UOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back