Loaded a dud round

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure how I did it, but I did. I mean, I take a flashlight and double check the loading block after charging. Only thing I can think was either I was tired and didn't, or something else.

Round was a 125grn trunicated cone hard cast lead bullet, for 38spl, on top of 4.8grn of Bullseye (+P loading). Ignited by a lead free PMC primer. Of the 10 rounds 9 fired with no issue in my Ruger SP101 357Mag 3" revolver. The one dud did a very quiet pop. Bullet stuck at the very start of the rifling. Cylinder was hard to open; bullet was not the issue, primer was. Primer was backed out quite a bit, and looked like it was kinda flattened; I know on firing the primer will back out, and then the cartridge thrusts back once the bullet unseats.

The one thing that leaves me wondering is that the base of the bullet was blackened considerably. I've never looked to see what other fired rounds looked like, but it was relatively uniform on black covering. So, my question is, could this have been just a really weak primer? I'm thinking not, it was just an uncharged round, and I can't get out of my reloading mistake that easily.

If the base of the bullet was "blackened considerably" I'd say it is an undercharged load.

Just tap out the bullet with a wooden dowel and pat yourself on the back for stopping shooting the gun when it misfired.

I was shooting an M-16 R (Squire Bingham) with Remington Thuderbolt ammo when it made a mild pop and I stopped shooting RIGHT AWAY on a semi-auto when it popped.

My dad said to just chamber a fresh round and continue shooting. I refrained and cut a dry, stiff bull rush stave from a nearby creek in St-Polycarpe and fed it down the bore.

To my surprise, a bit of unburned powder and a 40gr bullet tip backed out into the chamber.

I was only 15 years old at the time, and I am still impressed with my judgement and actions to this day.

Had I chambered a fresh round and shot, I'd have split the barrel for sure.

Last week had the same thing.
frown.gif

105gn behind 2.3gn of Clays in a .38sp GP100 4 inch and it went off but felt something was wrong. It did hit the steel target out around 100 feet so I stopped and checked that everything was clear.

Been a LONG time since I've had a no/low powder load and I'd say it was my fault being there are times I load when tired or during one of my long sessions with the press.

Another good reason to take your time shooting "just in case". I've seen someone blow up a good weapon by striking a stuck bullet with another one in the barrel.

Not pretty.

Glad you are safe!

Bill

Squibbies are never any fun; I have had a few in my day. Semi-automatics present the most danger with squib loads because it only takes a fraction of a second and/or an involuntary reflex to fire the next round.

Happens, this is why I carry an old cleaning rod to the range. I can beat the bullet out of the barrel if I get a squib.

Fire some more old communist ammo you will get more.

Came across one of these in a box of 9mm WWB. My USP went *pop* instead of *bang* and I seen the slide close back up on the empty casing. Immediately knew what had happened.
Pulled the magazine out and locked the slide open, ejecting the empty casing. I was able to see light through the barrel so I just threw the mag back in and dropped the slide.
I was surprised it managed it make it out of the barrel.

OP: What is your procedure for charging cases, i.e. do you use a powder measure or a scale/dispenser combo etc?

I think squib loads are from humidity in the powder hopper causes the powder to gall and bind up so it doesn't drop down with full measure.

Maybe a static charge if you just filled the hopper then start to use your press?

I have never hand loaded but this is a good reason to weigh each shell on an accurate digi scale when you are done a batch. If a shell is too light or too heavy in grains, just open the shell with a bullet puller (hammer where you drop in the shell, and inertia pops the shell apart. RCBS makes them?) and reuse the components. If it fails again, measure the casing and the bullet to see if something else is the issue other than powder charge.

You can get injured or ruin a prized shooting iron not only from a double feed squib, but if the powder column is lean it produces a different pressure curve and can firecracker in the chamber and ruin your gun.

A powder column generally has to fill a shell within reason to avoid this problem.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Happens, this is why I carry an old cleaning rod to the range. I can beat the bullet out of the barrel if I get a squib.

Haven't had any duds yet.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: TurboLuver
OP: What is your procedure for charging cases, i.e. do you use a powder measure or a scale/dispenser combo etc?

I have a Lee powder throw; once I get the charge to be thrown right (RCBS balance) I will only check the charge every 10 or 20 rounds. Load up all rounds, up to 50, in a loading block; then shine a flashlight and check for uniformity. Then I press in the bullet. [I do have one of those cheapie electronic scales, but I don't trust it to be better than about +/-0.2 grains, as the zero wanders way too much.]

The other night found me rushing, and doing two things at once, and I did double charge one case. Very obvious, and very frightening. I might give up charging in the evening hours as result.

Still not sure how I did a non-charged load. Just basic stupity I guess.

Originally Posted By: SS1970chrysler
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

Haven't had any duds yet.
smile.gif

Shoot more, it will happen sooner or later.

Its actually good practice, if you do any defensive shooting, etc.

When a gun doesn't go off, a lot of people at the range start trying to figure it out. When one of mine doesn't go off, I beat on it until it does. Forming a circle of experts around it is kind of useless and unless the problem keeps repeating I don't really care what went wrong. Firearms are mechanical, once in awhile they will hiccup, don't care what kind of firearm it is.

The video is campy, but this sums up how I view clearing problems. Squibs you have to hear but they are pretty distinctive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back