What do degrease a chain with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Along the same lines as the diesel fuel, wouldn't gasoline work too?

I will look at that ZEP degreaser as well. For $12/gallon it should go a long way and might be the best thing to use if I want to use it indoors.

http://www.homedepot.com/Bath-Cleaning-S...51#.UGCSyyJbqzc

307b1dd4-1a06-44fb-9fe8-146e28bc7436_300.jpg

BTW, I tried using some diesel (really home heating oil) over the weekend to degrease something (not a bicycle chain) and it worked great.

Back when my chain maintenance caring level was high, I used to remove, soak in varsol, wash with water, soak in oil and then drip "dry" for a few hrs. Now I use the on-bike chain cleaner .. so far have been using simple green but only because that's all I had handy.

But diesel fuel - is there a concern with benzene inhalation/absorption?

Originally Posted By: NJC
But diesel fuel - is there a concern with benzene inhalation/absorption?

While diesel has aromatics, id guess that gasoline would be more filled with benzene. They tend to be bigger aromatic molecules in diesel.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
BTW, I tried using some diesel (really home heating oil) over the weekend to degrease something (not a bicycle chain) and it worked great.

But did it flash off?

with what? Another lighter solvent?

I just bought some finish line multi degreaser... I think they dont recommend using citrus on everything for some reason. havent looked much into it.

That ZEP Citrus Degreaser is powerful stuff. I'd cut with water on a chain unless it's really dirty or something.

I think I ruined one of those Vetta chain cleaners by using mineral spirits. The plastic case warped & didn't fit together properly any more. Safer to use water-borne degreasers. I've used a couple different things similar to SimpleGreen but still looking for something more effective. I'll have to try some of the things suggested here.

Use brake cleaner if I have a can that's almost empty. Otherwise, I'll take a mineral spirit soaked rag and run it on the chain. If it's really grimy, I will take the chain off and put it in a jar full of whatever petroleum solvent (spirits, kerosene, seafoam, etc.) I have left over and shake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back