Castrol Edge Q&A Answers posted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks.

Disappointed to see that all of our HT/HS questions went unanswered. All other oil manufacturers don't mind sharing this data. Why is it such a secret at BP?

Wayne,
Thanks for doing this, but i have to say the questions were answered by marketing people with no knowlwdge about oils.
I didn't learn anything new.
I suspect the switch from Syntec to Edge is going to bite them.

Years back I ask questions to Castrol about Castrol Syntec when it first hit the market. How come so cheap for a real synthetic and such. Something felt fishy about the price and saying it was a synthetic etc. . The Castrol folks were ***** back then. I stopped using their products over their attitude and replies. Then I did find out SYNTEC was not really a REAL synthetic. It was by nomenclature only. I felt lied to and deceived. That must have been or around 1993. Never used a Castrol prduct again. I won't use BP products or fuel for other reasons.

Do they know the difference between green and gold GC? Or maybe they didn't understand the question.
21.gif

-Dennis

Well, a lot of the answers weren't as detailed as we were hoping for, and some seemed rather unrelated to the question at hand. Others, however, were very well answered.

My specific question was clearly and concisely answered.

Originally Posted By: hounddog
Years back I ask questions to Castrol about Castrol Syntec when it first hit the market. How come so cheap for a real synthetic and such. Something felt fishy about the price and saying it was a synthetic etc. . The Castrol folks were ***** back then. I stopped using their products over their attitude and replies. Then I did find out SYNTEC was not really a REAL synthetic. It was by nomenclature only. I felt lied to and deceived. That must have been or around 1993. Never used a Castrol prduct again. I won't use BP products or fuel for other reasons.

When Syntec was first introduced it was a full PAO-based synthetic. After it had been on the market 2 or 3 years they switched to Group III base oil.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Wayne,
Thanks for doing this, but i have to say the questions were answered by marketing people with no knowlwdge about oils.
I didn't learn anything new.

Yup.

I don't know what you could draw from it, but everytime I see a sale it seems like "w/ titanitum" gets a $2 premium.

IIRC, when I had looked at the data sheets, it was my impression Syntec had a more impressive scorecard. Again, if that means anything.

Could Castrol Edge Syntec be added to Castrol TWS?

Would like to experiment with lowering with viscosity just a little down to a 55 or so.

I have Castrol TWS 10w60.
Castrol Edge here only come in 5w40 no more.

I wonder how the TWS and Edge would mix?

Good grief!
Only use German oil in German engines is the golden rule in Germany. I might be in Germany, but when I buy parts I always look for a made in Germany label, even though I drive a Volvo with a Renault block. If it says made in the USA it will be too expensive and if it says made in France, it means some chap in China has copied the label!

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
While in WM today I was reading the backs of Castrol Edge Syntec and Edge Syntec Titanium.None of them had "Made In Germany" on them.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: skyship
Good grief!
Only use German oil in German engines is the golden rule in Germany. I might be in Germany, but when I buy parts I always look for a made in Germany label, even though I drive a Volvo with a Renault block. If it says made in the USA it will be too expensive and if it says made in France, it means some chap in China has copied the label!

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
While in WM today I was reading the backs of Castrol Edge Syntec and Edge Syntec Titanium.None of them had "Made In Germany" on them.
21.gif

The only edge in the US that will be made in Germany is GC 0w-30 which is harder to find and you won't find it at Walmart. Oriellys and advance auto parts carries it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back