Are AAA Car batteries Junk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a bad experience with AAA batteries but I think it was more due to incompetence on the tech's part than the fault of the battery. My dad was borrowing my car, and the battery died. He called AAA to come and replace it (I wasn't around otherwize I would have done it myself). They come out, replace the battery, still doesn't start, wrong battery. So they tow it to a shop, who also installs the wrong battery but it starts now so its not obvious theres a wrong battery. I figured it out when I had to replace it relatively early and noticed the battery they put in was half the size of the battery box. Honestly, how hard is it to figure out the right battery? The computer at WalMart can do it!

Originally Posted By: BerlinettaBoxer
I had a bad experience with AAA batteries but I think it was more due to incompetence on the tech's part than the fault of the battery. My dad was borrowing my car, and the battery died. He called AAA to come and replace it (I wasn't around otherwize I would have done it myself). They come out, replace the battery, still doesn't start, wrong battery. So they tow it to a shop, who also installs the wrong battery but it starts now so its not obvious theres a wrong battery. I figured it out when I had replace it relatively early and noticed the battery they put in was half the size of the battery box. Honestly, how hard is it to figure out the right battery? The computer at WalMart can do it!

I think it's reasonable to conclude they used whatever battery they had available. Most places won't carry every size out there but will find an alternate that will fit. This yields mixed results; I used to own a 00 Bonneville that had one of those special sizes that nobody carries. Had a shop throw in another group number of similar size but it turns out that special size had an important feature missing on the more common battery- it had an orifice to connect a vent tube to which is required to vent gasses outside the cabin as the battery was mounted under the rear seat. Without that tube connected, both terminals badly corroded in short time, so there are important reasons to choose the right battery for the job.

Be aware that some cars specify different batteries depending on the region it's sold in. For example my 01 Frontier specifies a group 24 only in Canada, but in US a smaller battery is installed, presumably to save money, about half the size even though it has the large battery tray. Size isn't as important as one would think, A 12 volt lawnmower battery will still start a car, but the reserve capacity for operating accessories with the engine off will be compromised as well as cold weather starting.

In short, the battery tray isn't a reliable indicator that you have the right battery for the reason mentioned above. There are a lot of variables to consider before placing blame squarely on the technician. But certainly if you can do the work yourself, do it, this ensures you get the right part and not something that just "works."

Very good points, but the battery tray would make you double check that you have the right battery. In my case, the right battery is snug in the box. My car is a diesel so it needs a battery that has enough power and the ability to maintain that longer than needed for a gas car. I understand AAA not having the right battery, but I would expect a shop to figure out what is correct and be able to get the correct one if they dont stock it. WalMart stocks it, it can't be that rare.

There batteries are going to be made by one of the 3 that make batteries for everyone else... Johnson Controls, East Penn (Deka), or Exide. Generally, Johnson Controls and East Penn seem to be more well respected here and on most other forums.

It is hard to base anything on random reports on forums. Maybe some of the people reporting problems have other electrical issues such as a parasitic drain that could be contributing to repeated early battery failures.

AAA batteries should be about the same quality as what you can find at any auto parts store. They are overpriced, but there's always a price to pay for convenience.

Originally Posted By: k1rod
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Doesn't AAA warrantee the batteries?

They have a written warranty but if you google "AAA battery warranty" you'll see about 500 people all saying that AAA uses any excuse they can to deny your warranty.

I've never owned an AAA battery so I can't talk about their quality, or lack thereof. With that being said, all customers who love their AAA batteries will just use them and not think about them again. All customers who hate their AAA batteries will post about the problems that they've had. The good/bad ratio of AAA batteries could be 100-1, but all you will see when Googling "AAA battery warranty" is the posts of the customers with bad results. Don't solely rely on internet posters to sway your purchasing.

I had to call AAA about 2 years ago when the battery in my Buick failed. I was already at work. If they had simply given me a jump, I would have had to drive half an hour to an Autozone, have those guys put in a new one, and then I'd have faced the battle for a new parking place back at work.

The AAA guy showed up, checked the old one (yeah, it was dead), put in the new one, checked it, and made sure I could start and run my electrical accessories before I paid him and he left. Cheap at the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back