Toro Timecutter 50", first oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,
I just purchased a 50" Toro Timecutter Riding zero turn mower with a Kawasaki engine. The owner's manual says to change the oil after the 8 hours of use. I was going to use M1 10W30 synthetic, but my local dealer told me to not use synthetic as these machines take 100hours to break in. 100 hours seems like alot for a break-in period.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Last edited:
Nice mower.

The Kawasaki brand oil is a synthetic blend. I'm not sure what he's worried about. Personally I'd prefer a 5-40 diesel oil especially in your climate but maybe that viscosity isn't approved?

Thanks Bepperb, but I'd like to stay with the owner's manual which says 10w30 if possible. Just curious if switching to synthetic so early will hurt anything. I didn't think it would but the guy at my reputable dealer told me otherwise.

I'm planning on using Rotella T5 10w30 in my riding lawn mower. It is a semi synthetic. I don't see why you couldn't just throw synthetic in there right away.

im a firm beliver in sae 30 in kawis, the synthetic will do you no favors in these enignes, infact numerous ppl report oil consumption in these type engines when synthetic multi grade is used. here come the pointless agruments, but i put ALOT of hours on small engines and NEVER an issue using sae 30 non synthetic.

ALWAYS follow the owners manual, not what the dealer/salesman says. When my mom purchased her last mower, the salesman told her to run only non-detergent oil in the engine of lawn mower. I had to get the operator's manual out and circle the recommended oil specs before she believed me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back