BMW LL04 and Oil Additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
As most of you know, in the U.S., BMW requires adherence to their LL04 spec for their diesel engine vehicles (the vehicles have DPF's and also use DEF). LL04 is a low SAPS formula.

I have a friend that decided to pour of bottle of moly additive into his car, and I don't know if he's done something potentially bad for his car or not. The additive in question is this: http://www.schaefferoil.com/engine-oil-treatment.html

And the MSDS is here: http://www.schaefferoil.com/cmss_files/attachmentlibrary/MSDS/132.pdf

I don't know enough about the formulations and additives to know if this could cause a problem with his diesel or not, I'm hoping someone here can educate me. Thanks!

I know little about what moly could do to the DPF but i do know DPF equipped vehicles are a nightmare if the wrong oil is used.

I am sure somebody more knowledgable will be along soon, personally I would change the oil back to proper BMW spec stuff.

Lots of these diesel BMW's around in UK and Europe with mega miles on them.

They have issues such as swirl flaps but all vehicles have issues.

DPF is big money and if that system works without additive there is the risk of diesel fuel in the oil, the cause of many a Vauxhall Zafira engine going bang in my previous job.

LL04 is a pretty specific oil requirement. I'm surprised with the manufacturer being that direct about what oil they want in the engine someone would still go out and buy an additive.

Anyway the MSDS really doesn't have much info. Maybe this is still relevant:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1729264

IMO it was a waste of money at the best. Probably won't do anything damaging, though.

Originally Posted By: 62Lincoln
I have a friend that decided to pour of bottle of moly additive into his car,

So, why did he do this? Just curious. What year/make/model/engine bmw?

As for the ill effects, not knowing what this additive's sulfated ash content is it's hard to say. If it's fairly high, then there is a risk of having his DPF damaged or having its life shortened.

There isn't a ton of moly or Sb in there so I'm not concerned. Does the ll-04 oil contain any Mo?

Originally Posted By: bepperb
I'm surprised with the manufacturer being that direct about what oil they want in the engine someone would still go out and buy an additive.

He's got a bit of a cowboy mentality, but I agree with you. I wouldn't being doing it, either.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: 62Lincoln
I have a friend that decided to pour of bottle of moly additive into his car,

So, why did he do this? Just curious. What year/make/model/engine bmw?

I think his car is a 2010 335d, with DPF and DEF/SCR. Why did he do it? No idea, he's just impulsive.

Were does your friend live? I can be at his house in 30 mins ready to deliver the Special Agent Jethro Gibbs smack on the back of the head.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back