New Kreen Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
I been tempted to take the cover off and see what it looks like. I bought this car brand new. I ran it for years on regular 10W30 Castrol. After synthetic went mainstream and prices settled, I switched to it. I used to use Fram filters but switched to Purolator a year or two back. The Purolator filters made a good bit of difference. The oil is only slightly darker when I change it after 5,000 miles. By the way, I ran for 3,000 when I was on regular oil. Been curious if it can go 7,500 on synthetic oil tho. Just change the filter half way through. I also added magnets to my oil filter a while back. Mine is aluminum but there is a good bit of metal that it will hold on to in there.

Engine wise, this has been one heck of a car. My biggest problem is keeping the A/C working at full power. After I switched to R134, it has not done very well because of the rather small condenser. It's just plain not large enough. That leads to higher pressures on the high side which leads to a shorter compressor life. Junk yards are my friend. Other than normal stuff, plugs, anti-freeze and such as that, its been a great car.

Also, I get about 30 mpg with this thing. I only got about 25 or so when I first bought it. Since I started putting Morey's in it, the heater takes a good long while to warm up. lol It gets there but it takes a while. I think Morey's has really helped my gas mileage more than anything else. It's the biggest change I have made to what I put in it. Oh, it doesn't get good mileage on 92 or 93 either. It likes 87 very well tho.

I called about my new exhaust. I'm looking at about $150.00 to maybe $200.00. That is from exhaust manifold to the rear bumper. Doesn't sound to bad. Oh well, got to do what I got to do.

grin.gif

I looked at some MMO yesterday with a view to trying it, but there were no directions as to how much to add to oil or fuel tank. Suggestions please. I want to try some on 170K mile Corolla.

Originally Posted By: tc1446
I looked at some MMO yesterday with a view to trying it, but there were no directions as to how much to add to oil or fuel tank. Suggestions please. I want to try some on 170K mile Corolla.

No more than 20% in the oil, you can run it for a full OCI, although I would keep the OCI to about 4,000 miles or a little less. I find winter the best time of the year to add MMO to the sump, you'll notice easier cold weather starts, which is always nice. In the gas 4 ounce to 10 gallons of gas is plenty.

Originally Posted By: tc1446

What demarpaint said.^^^

What's your sump size? A pint in your crankcase will likely get things dissolving/darkening up nicely and safely to start. For gas, I've experimented with many variations but MMO's recommended 4 oz to 10 gallons seems about optimum. Continued, persistent use will aid fuel system cleaning as well as adding back lubricity that ethanol removes from your gas.

hey guys, i just added 16oz to my 02 town and country 3.3. the oil had approximately 1200 miles on it and was farily dark before adding the kreen. funny thing happened i added the kreen and after about 100 miles the oil looks like its brand new. is this normal?

Last edited:
RDALEK-I'd keep doing what you are doing with the MMO-engine fill hole looks GREAT!!!
I don't know what's in Moreys-never heard of it before, probably would not be using that stuff though

Originally Posted By: steve20
RDALEK-I'd keep doing what you are doing with the MMO-engine fill hole looks GREAT!!!
I don't know what's in Moreys-never heard of it before, probably would not be using that stuff though

Moreys is a oil stabalizer. (sp?) Anyway, it is some slick stuff and it sticks to everything. I have to wash my hands in go-op at least a couple times to get it off of them. I have heard it started out being used on big trucks and is somehow like Lucas. My brother, dead now, swore by the stuff. I do know this, when I put a healthy dose in my oil in the winter time, I have very little heat for at least 10 miles or more. I mean very little. It takes MUCH longer to even get any heat. The temp gauge hand goes up slower than it used to but even when the temp gauge shows it is up to normal, still not a lot of heat. After driving it a while, it does get there. No, the heater core is fine. Done checked it. lol Thermostat to.

I still say that switching to Purolator filters helped tho. I just can't figure out how much.

I have another somewhat related question. I been thinking about putting a small oil cooler on this puppy. Anyone think they really help any? It's just a little 1.8L 4 cylinder engine but I dunno.

Demarpaint and KCjeep: thanks for the info. Will give it a try.
Corolla is a 4 qt sump and has Mob1 & filter on now with only 3-4K on the oil. Will add some to gas and wait til I get more miles on the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back