Summer tires in Winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those that live through spin training use good winter tires for the rest of our driving lives.

Those that do not live through spin training become part of the statistics for people getting killed in vehicle accidents that year and get buried.

Unfortunately this happens for real every winter.

Originally Posted By: measureman

Has anybody driven on summer tires in the cold and snow?
My car is front wheel drive. Am I in trouble here?
thanks.

In the cold?
Yes, I have.

In snow?
Nope, not going to happen.

On days without snow on the ground, or black ice, you will be okay. But, once you hit black ice, you're going to have little to no control.

I would highly recommend that you save up some money, and buy a set of winter tires for your car.

What is your car anyway?

BC.

Originally Posted By: Rand
yep you will be driving on plastic come div>

Yes - right about there is where summer tires get hard and slick.
Also, the tread pattern is not biased for snow.

Thanks for telling me pretty much what I figured.
Being on a strict budget I bought 2 Doral SDL tires for the front of the car. I plan on putting 2 more on the rear soon.
From my research on these tires I know they are not the best. But there were several cheaper choices.I bought the best ones that I could afford.

Last edited:
I wouldn't do it personally, especially if you get any amount of snow. There are always going to be people who tell you it's fine.

Firestone Winterforce are cheap. And, even if insurance does pay for the damages, you can seriously screw yourself up in a wreck ... get sued, etc ... all that not-fun stuff.

The all-seasons that came on my Focus actually did *decent* when the car was brand new. I bought the car in March, and we got an April snow storm (I didn't think I'd need a set within the first month of owning the car). It's not something I'd like to do again, however.

I got the back tires replaced with the Dorals this week.I had to buy them 2 at a time do to budget restrictions.So now I have brand new all season tires at all 4 wheels.It won't be long here in Colorado before it snows and I'll report how they did in case anyone needs to buy low priced tires. And by the way Big O sells 2 cheaper tires then I bought.
And they are very quiet on the highway.

Last edited:
Use of so called summer tyres is common in the UK, even in the colder parts like the East Coast of Scotland.

The issue is not driving to the conditions primarily, I have never had an accident in snow or during cold weather.

But if you want to cover all bases then putting on cheap winter tyres will be better than most summer tyres.

For example Avon ZV3's were excellent in the snow on the wife's Clio but wore out quickly on the front in summer/autumn etc.

The Kumho KH17 is a reasonable tyre, but the tread pattern is just straight lines and the compound is on the harder side.

I have winters on my Volvo and hand on heart I don't think they made any real difference last winter apart from being 40% more expensive than a normal tyre, that will be called a summer tyre in the US and perhaps in mainland Europe.

I does demand on amounts of snow though, if we got the levels of snow in the UK that you do in other places I may have a different opinion.

From what my old workmates say the London Ambulance Service is not putting on winter tyres this year, they did it last year for the first time ever and I don't think the cost could be justified, as they ended up leaving winter tyres on for the rest of the year, and nothing wears out faster than a winter tyre getting pushed hard in hotter temperatures. Holy shoulder wear Batman!

I've got a neighbor around the corner with a several year old CTS-V wagon still on the factory summer-only tires that he occasionally tracks. They are fairly worn last I checked. He tells me he runs them all year. I mentioned they're summer only rubber, which he ignored.

Last night it was 40 degrees. Tonight it's going down to 32.

Fortunately, his drive doesn't get too close to our property. Unfortunately, he's got a couple kids that he sometimes puts in the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back