Mazda's new propriety 0W-20 GF-5 with Moly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for letting us know.

Yes that translates into a 225 VI which compares favourably with the Toyota 0W-20 (KV40 37.39cSt, 216 VI) and is an improvement on the SM GF-4 Idemitsu high moly oil with it's VI of "only" 197. I've used both oils and the SM Idemitsu oil is much heavier on start-up to the Toyota product.
Hopefully all the current users of the Idemitsu 0W-20; namely, Subaru, Mitsubushi and Honda/Acura Canada will start getting the new SN high moly, high VI oil.

The other NA high VI 0W-20's are SynGard (VI 220) and the lightest 0W-20, Sustina (KV40 32.69cSt, VI 229).
It should be noted that it's great to have a high virgin VI but what counts is how much of that high VI is retained in service.
The VIs of the Toyota and Idemitsu oils do drop about 10% in service. The premium priced Sustina does not.

I called my local dealer to get a price on a case. He confirmed that list is $7.95/qt and when I asked for a case discount quickly offered $6.76 but would go no lower. He had none in stock as they buy theirs in bulk.

Hold the presses....

The Mazda oil's 40C visc is 38.87 not 35 so perhaps Toyota is still the VI champ. Definitely lighter than M1 but apparently not Toyota. the 100C visc is 8.3. I am trying to get their claimed VI.

If that's the case then the VI is 197, exactly the same as the most recent GF-4 high moly oil.
BTW, how did to find out the KV40 was really 38.87cSt?

The real VI champ is not TGMO at 216 but Sustina at 229; unfortunately it's almost twice the price.

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
I can't imagine the moly being very high since Idemitsu is reducing moly for GF5.
-Dennis

The GF-5 version that Subaru use is a totally different formulation; only has a 169 VI and no moly.

The new GF-5 Mazda oil sounds like the Idemitsu SM GF-4 0W-20 oil that's still being supplied to Mitsubishi and Honda/Acura Canada that been upgraded to GF-5. The GF-4 oil has 600 ppm of moly. I can't see why they would splash "Moly" on the label unless it also contained a boatload of the stuff.

Hey Everyone,

I am a tech at a Canadian Mazda dealership and was unaware of the apparent quality of this oil..... This leaving me with a few questions.....

- Is this oil made by Petro Canada? Is this the same oil US vs Canada?

- As I have stated before, I have become a rather avid Pennzoil Platinum user... any recommendations on which is better for my application (2006 Ford Escape V6 4x4)

- My Ford Escape V6 3.0l 4x4 recommends 5w20..... If I am using synthetic, is 0w20 safe for this vehicle (especially for winter)? Any UOA's on this topic?

Thanks Everyone for any info
smile.gif

Sean

Originally Posted By: superchargedx

- My Ford Escape V6 3.0l 4x4 recommends 5w20..... If I am using synthetic, is 0w20 safe for this vehicle (especially for winter)?

Yes you can use a 0W-20 (they're all synthetic in Canada) without issue.

The best 20wt oil deal in Canada is the Mobil made Toyota 0W-20 at $5.70/L. There simply isn't anything better at twice the price.

If price were not a factor I'd recommend the Sustina 0W-20.
Next would be the Toyota 0W-20,
then the Idemitsu made Cdn Honda/Acura 0W-20,
Royal Purple 0W-20,
then PP 0W-20,
followed closely by Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20.

what specific mazda are you referring to? many mazdas are just rebaddged fords, and if thats your case im sure any xw-20 would be fine. if it were the mazda rotary engine or something special, then id be concerned w mazdas recomendation.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
If that's the case then the VI is 197, exactly the same as the most recent GF-4 high moly oil.
BTW, how did to find out the KV40 was really 38.87cSt?

The real VI champ is not TGMO at 216 but Sustina at 229; unfortunately it's almost twice the price.

I got the MSDS from ILA. It gives the 40C and 100C viscosities but not the rest of the typical PDS data. I've requested that but haven't gotten a response yet.
MazdaoilMSDS.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back