GT's Running Volvo thread. The 00 XC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decided to start it off. No better way than the epic last post of the old one! Starting off with my ABS module swap ambitions...

Quote:
JOD
GearheadTool

I am unsure if I can do a VSS and am debating the ABS myself, but Oil Filter is still a go.

Here's all you need to fix the ABS yourself:

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12651

my suggestion-if you really don't want to/can't afford to send it out, remove the case and open it yourself, then take it to a place with a soldering station--say a small PC repair guy, and have them go over the solder joints. He'll probably charge you $10.00-$20.00. It'll literally take 5 minutes. The work is getting the ABS module opened up. You have to exercise great care in splitting the case, which is why I'd recommend sending it out, but if you want to DIY, this is how to do it.

I like this post.

Well, the ABS is doing the Intermittent thing, also speedo drop-outs. I have had readings of code P1633 and P0722. I am tempted to either A. Do what is suggested here (assuming it is still that E-5 Torx socket,) or B. Buy this and replace it with what I have, reinstall, and send out my old one. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...atchlink:top:en (socket included)

I have changed spark plugs and I can do an oil change, so, I am fairly certain I can do this. I could buy this, take a day, put it in, and mail off the old one.. $100 for the part (reman, certified) including the socket.. I could mail back my old, drive it, and see if everything is good.

Recommended? Thank you!

Quote:

JHZR2

I get paid tomorrow, so I may be able to actually get this thing orderded and in the mail tomorrow.. maybe a Friday or Saturday fix=it for the ABS!

This car is driving "Tina" (lol guys. Hehe, my diva-ish friend. I love it. She is good people, though, serious.. board levity) to Western Mass next week (rehearsal,) "a town bordering Boston" the end of October for a concert, Kennebunkport, ME sometime in November for a wedding and a certain nearby T stop, every morning.. with the option of grocery-getting/trips to Boston/wherever else in the meantime. We get around. OH, and almost forgot trip to CT about the same time as Western Mass but a weekend trip that is... See? Volvo. So, yes, it would be $100 well spent. And no trips to a computer guy that could say no...

Originally Posted By: Gabe
I am lost. Is the VSS or the ABS module bad??

A fair question. Indicators point to both. I have received P1633 (ABS) and 2 *same* P0722 (VSS) codes.

Today, the transmission appeared sluggish or as if it was starting in 2nd (maybe? I dont know? Little power from a light, required higher RPMs.. TWICE.. from a stop,) so, I know how to replace ABS.. and I see the part.

The VSS? Quote me what a mechanic wants to change it...

The shop time on replacing the VSS is .6 hours. It looks like all you have to do is unscrew the old one and screw the new one in. You should be able to see it from the top.

I would replace the VSS first, since it is most likely causing the problem.

Originally Posted By: GearheadTool
Decided to start it off.

What's the point of this running thread if you're starting new threads for similar issues anyway? I'm lost, but good luck, regardless.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Gabe
The shop time on replacing the VSS is .6 hours. It looks like all you have to do is unscrew the old one and screw the new one in. You should be able to see it from the top.

I would replace the VSS first, since it is most likely causing the problem.

+1 on this

Ok! I have a pretty good idea of what to do there. ABS, VSS.. I will need to make a judgement call on which one first. I have a guide for ABS, not VSS.

Now, a different question! What octane of gas should I be putting in this car? The budget is going to saving up for what it needs, yes. But I can buy and do the ABS soon. (I got a little bit short-changed on my money.) I put $20 of 91 at the place I work at today. Should I go 93? Something else?

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
I can't keep track of all these threads anymore.

Trying to make this one the "Running" thread. There is some really great info, including a lot that you posted, that I had trouble locating..

*deep breaths*

Also, today I need to change the license plate light. It is clearly out. Today, I need to take care of that.

Will I be able to get it with a normal screwdriver? Or, will this be my first Torx socket/tool purchase?

ARX (for the engine) is a GO! And yes, we are saving for T-belt, etc.

I got pics of the battery I am debating vs buying a CTK and extension cord vs buying a battery. This one may be fine...

Here they are!
laugh.gif

Oh, and to all those curious/interested: Yes, we must use the car and then do T-belt. It is going to get done. And Sam's will be the one to do that. I can do the more menial stuff, hence my questions and enthisiasm. Thanks!

This board will be the first to know when it is out of commission a few days to get its belt done, or a time is scheduled if it can be a one-day thing. Not yet, though. That is not possible. I hope this clafirification is appreciated.

New (Advance Auto Silver) battery, or CTEK charger?

FB_IMG_13499568728817509_zps83e67614.jpg

FB_IMG_13499568817781614_zpsd46cd665.jpg

FB_IMG_13499568921678506_zpsee675d60.jpg

Thank you!

Don't replace the battery if it works. Judging by those caps it may not be maintenance free and you may want to take them off and see if it needs any water. I would only replace it if it is clearly dying. That's probably $80 or so that would be better spent elsewhere on this car.

I would suggest keeping tow truck money on hand in case the t-belt breaks. I think it is understood that you can't afford to have it done now, but the timing belt doesn't care. It will break when and where it pleases, so you need to be prepared for that to happen. A new battery won't help you when this happens, cash for a tow truck will.

Pretty sure all the Volvo 5-cylinder engines are interference engines, which means if your T-belt breaks the engine is TOAST!

Originally Posted By: rainman49
Pretty sure all the Volvo 5-cylinder engines are interference engines, which means if your T-belt breaks the engine is TOAST!

You're correct and that's been pointed out. I think the T-belt is near the top of his list....

Originally Posted By: GearheadTool
This board will be the first to know when it is out of commission

Let's hope it's not out of commission due to a broken t-belt.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back