talked to ford and have some answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Dakota,

My name is Dia and I'm from Ford's Customer Relationship Center (CRC). I received your email regarding the payload capacity and towing capacity of your 1993 Ford F-150.

I appreciate the time you have taken to write us and allow me to assist you regarding this matter.

Your vehicle’s load capacity is designated by weight, not volume, so you cannot necessarily use available space with large or heavy loads. Maximum safe vehicle weights as well as tire, rim sizes and inflation pressures are specified for your vehicle at the assembly plant on the Safety Compliance Certification Label. The Certification Label is located on the left front door lock facing or the door latch post pillar.

I have also verified that your vehicle’s Gross Combined Weight Rating which is the maximum allowable weight of the vehicle, cargo, passengers, and trailer combined (Gross Combination Weight) is 6,450 lbs (2,926 kg).

Your vehicle’s payload capacity is the combined, maximum allowable weight or cargo, occupants and optional equipment that the truck is designed to carry. It is Gross Vehicle Weight Rating minus the base curb weight.

The base curb weight is the weight of the truck including fuel, coolants, lubricants, emergency tools, spare wheel and tires. It also includes any equipment that is standard on your vehicle. It does not include passengers, cargo or optional equipment installed by factory, dealer, aftermarket supplier or customer.

If attempting to determine the maximum allowable cargo capacity, we recommend weighing the vehicle with passengers on a commercial vehicle scale. The difference between the scale weight and the GVWR can be considered the maximum cargo capacity.

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company.

Sincerely,
Dia
Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company

to me this is still kind of confuisng. i always thought the gvwr was lower than the gcwr. my GVWR is 8650. any thoughts on this. lets not argue either lets just keep it cool.

ok so is the towing capacity assuming the truck weighs about 4500 lbs 6450-4500= 1950? and then my payload capacity is 8650 - 4500= 4150. to me that seems backwards but the way i read the letter states that.........

GVWR must always be below, or never more than, GCWR. For GVWR to be bigger than GCWR would make no sense. I don't see where they state GVWR in the letter. If your GCWR is 6,450lb then it is possible that GVWR is likely 6k, give or take. [Pure swag on my part, going off my impresion of what a 1/2ton truck should be for GVWR.]

You did say it has 3.08's, and if it has a manual transmission then Ford thinks it's only good for 2k towing. Sounds about right to me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
my GVWR is 8650

Where did you get this number?
Wikipedia has the 93 F150 listed as 6,100 lb GVWR max

Did you send a pic of the GVWR tag to Ford?

edit: doah, photobucket is blocked at work. Bummer. Am curious what this tag looks like.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Christopher Hussey
my GVWR is 8650

Where did you get this number?
Wikipedia has the 93 F150 listed as 6,100 lb GVWR max

Here we go again...
33.gif

Does the VIN number on your GVWR sticker match the VIN number on the dash?

my GVWR is 8650.

You have got to be kidding.
crackmeup2.gif

Didn't the Ford dealer confirm the sticker is wrong and not original? Why would you go off a sticker you know is wrong?

Jeepers!
A gvwr of a 1/2 ton is usually = half ton plus 1/4 ton cargo + passengers plus tongue load. most truck can tow a ton under their gvwr. This is and old truck and it will not should not tow to capacity. When new the truck could tow unladen 3500 +/- easily.

they guy at the dealerr said he thought it was wrong but i called ford after getting the email from them, they said it is in fact correct...... which is why its confusing

Originally Posted By: supton
GVWR must always be below, or never more than, GCWR. For GVWR to be bigger than GCWR would make no sense. I don't see where they state GVWR in the letter. If your GCWR is 6,450lb then it is possible that GVWR is likely 6k, give or take. [Pure swag on my part, going off my impresion of what a 1/2ton truck should be for GVWR.]

You did say it has 3.08's, and if it has a manual transmission then Ford thinks it's only good for 2k towing. Sounds about right to me.

Right. GCWR is greater than the GVWR because the vehicle always can trailer more than it can carry. I dont see a GVWR given.

It would be sensible to me that the GCWR is 8650 and the GVWR is 6450, and the truuck weighs around 4500 lbs. it could trailer around 4k lbs or carry a payload, but not exceed weither requirement, and not do both at the same time.

OP - does the vehicle have an EPA fuel economy value if you go to fueleconomy.gov? Is there emissions equipment on the truck?

If so, your GVWR is less than 7600, as that is the government-mandated break point where emissions controls and EPA fuel economy ratings are no longer required.

A GCW of 6450 to me makes a pretty wimpy truck. But of course if it has a 190hp engine, it really isnt capable of much more than an S-10, other than the bigger box and heavier underside that allows for a bit more payload on a bigger chassis.

keep in mind my sticker is just like yours only close up. it looks just like that except its not in the crease. my sticker isnt wrinkled either. its just the picture.

see the smart [censored] comments are coming again. i am just trying to understand this and once again we start making bad comments. please lets keep this educational and clear. it has nothing to do with missouri and you all know that.

The only explanation I can think of is your sticker is simply WRONG. Period! The people at Ford who are saying it's correct are probably not taking the time/effort to actually look up the correct specs and are just saying, "just read the darn sticker. If the sticker says it is 8600, then it must be 8600." Without actually confirming it.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i377/dakota1820/CAM00009.jpg

Look at your crummy, wrinkled sticker compared to the correct one...

$(KGrHqF,!pcF!IHo)wFuBQVkiDF,Ww~~_4.JPG

Notice how much is missing from your sticker. Notice how bad it looks.

Why would you believe the hack job sticker on your truck

notice my front gvwr and rear is higher too. its not just the whole gvwr

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: supton

Right. GCWR is greater than the GVWR because the vehicle always can trailer more than it can carry. I dont see a GVWR given.

It would be sensible to me that the GCWR is 8650 and the GVWR is 6450, and the truuck weighs around 4500 lbs. it could trailer around 4k lbs or carry a payload, but not exceed weither requirement, and not do both at the same time.

OP - does the vehicle have an EPA fuel economy value if you go to fueleconomy.gov? Is there emissions equipment on the truck?

If so, your GVWR is less than 7600, as that is the government-mandated break point where emissions controls and EPA fuel economy ratings are no longer required.

A GCW of 6450 to me makes a pretty wimpy truck. But of course if it has a 190hp engine, it really isnt capable of much more than an S-10, other than the bigger box and heavier underside that allows for a bit more payload on a bigger chassis.

see that makes sense to me! thats why im confused. and it wasnt just the sticker that said 8650 ford recalled that number on the phone as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back