Coolant for 01 Nissan Maxima

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mau

So I know Zerex Asian is what most people recommend and Napa here in Canada has it for 16 bucks for the 50/50. I saw they also had the Valvoline Maxlife for 20 bucks but its concentrate (so I'm paying for coolant not 50% water :p).

The Max as 200K (km's) on it I will be filling it with water (so cleaning the block out completely) but also will be changing the thermostat.

What do people think of the Maxlife? I can get Honda's Type 2 fluid for 12 bucks but again its 50/50. Am I better off with the Honda fluid then Valvoline Maxlife?

IMG_20120922_134436.jpg

IMG_20120922_134427.jpg

Its Dexcool or a Dexclone. I personally do not see the point. Use Zerex Asian which is actually the right coolant for your vehicle.

The all makes/all models (in my mind) should only be used by people who find themselves low on coolant on a Sunday evening at 10:00 PM and go to a 7-11 type of store.

I think its best to use close to what your vehicle came with from the factory. If it came with Dexcool, then use a real Dexcool.

Originally Posted By: DaHen
Originally Posted By: johnsmellsalot
I would've used antifreeze from the Nissan dealer.

I agree.

+1

well game plan has changed. I returned the Valvoline and picked up 6 jugs of honda type 2 premix for 10 bucks a bottle (half what the dealer wants).

Going to drain the green in there now, fill it up with demineralised water, run the car till its warm, drain the water (may do an additional water flush), replace thermostat, fill her up with honda type 2, let it run and maybe do another drain and fill again with honda type 2 and hopefully most of the green stuff is gone and the good blue/greenish honda type 2 is full circulated throughout the block and heater core and the concentration of water:coolant should be around 50:50

The green coolant looks fine in there right now but I found the heating in this car in winter was not adequate enough, hopefully this coupled with the thermostat change fixes this. Being my winter beater I'd want the heat to work at its optimum (surprisingly the A/c blows ice cold still!)

Last edited:
Well update, did the flush yesterday and installed the Beck and Arnley thermostat (Made in Germany with Motorad markings on it). What a POS, its not working right, the coolant temps are suppose to be at 180F but its letting the car heat to 210F. Of course the fans are constantly running. I did get all the air out, car is blowing hot air now!

Will have to pickup a nissan thermostat, hopefully Rockauto takes my B&A one back.

Last edited:
I'd test the tstat in hot water to verify opening temperature, also 2001 was the last year for conventional green AF in Nissan, '02 they went to the P-OAT Asian style.

Thanks....I haven't gotten a chance to pull the thermostat and change it to OEM again.

I wan to park my summer car and put the Maxima on the road again hopefully this weekend. So I'll have to change it out today or tomorrow.

Is it normal to have to top up. I know when I drained, filled and burped the coolant I had topped up the reservoir to the max line (maybe more). I drove the car last night about 5KM and checked the coolant this morning on a cold motor (I know I should be checking it after it has warmed up and turned off) and the reservoir was almost empty. I topped it up above the max line cold, drove in to work and checked and its at the same level (not empty but just above full).

Last edited:
It has settled. No coolant consumed after that initial consumption. Heat is working good.

Not looking forward to the cold days (below 0) to test her out. So far the car is warming up quicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back