Oil Consumption ? - 2009 Accord EX 150K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

First time post after reviewing the forum content for a few weeks. I purchased a used 2009 Honda Accord EX 2.4L 5 spd manual late last fall with 141K. The car is in excellent condition, never seeing extreme snow/cold as it was a southern US car. I stored the car for the winter in a garage as I wanted to spare it from at least one Northern NY winter and road salt.

I changed the oil in the spring 600 miles after removal from storage in March. I switched from Mobil 1 synthetic 5w-20 that the previous owner had used to AMSOIL Signature Series 5w-20 with the EA filter to match. I also ran the AMSOIL engine flush prior with a new filter attached prior to the change.

I have since run 7700 miles on this oil, and have noticed oil consumption over the last 4K miles. I need to improve my data capture process, but it is about 1/2 qt every 1300-1500 miles. I did not log these details in a spreadsheet, but I am adding 3-4 oz most every week and the car runs about 400-500 miles on average every week.

I wanted to pose this issue to the group to see if this is a consumption problem that may be associated to:
1) the change in oil from M1 to AMSOIL
or
2) the fact that winter storage in the cold broke down the oil and since the car started cold after 4 months of storage may have caused some damage

I had planned to run the AMSOIL for the extended OCI that they touted of 15K, but had changed my mind to change in late fall and early spring as we get some cold temps in the winter and wanted to have fresh oil for the cold winter AM starts.

I plan to do an oil change in the next week or two and will send a sample for UAO to see if that shows anything unusual. The previous owner had mentioned to me that he never noticed any oil consumption prior to sale and thought I should contact AMSOIL to see if this may be expected for an OCI or 2.

Any suggestions on the consumption issue and if there is any preferences for type/brand oil to address the issue?

Secondly, should I run 0W-20 in the winter as the area does get some -0 temp mornings? I would most likely switch back to 5w-20 for Spring-Fall OCI.

I would be very surprised if the change of oil brand was responsible for the high oil consumption.
There seem to be quite a few higher mileage cars using 0 or 5/20 oil that have a high oil consumption and although you should check for possible physical causes, like a blocked crancase vent valve, it would be worth investigating changing to a 0/30 or 5/30 oil, as that should help reduce the oil consumption. A can of Liqui Moly (Lubro Moly in the USA) stop leak might also be worth considering.
A 0/20 is slightly better than a 5/20 in winter, but the difference is not very great and when people have switched between the two their UOA results have not changed much.
Storing a car for 4 months will not make a significant change to the properties of a good quality engine oil.

Originally Posted By: accord_9909
Hi all,

First time post after reviewing the forum content for a few weeks. I purchased a used 2009 Honda Accord EX 2.4L 5 spd manual late last fall with 141K. The car is in excellent condition, never seeing extreme snow/cold as it was a southern US car. I stored the car for the winter in a garage as I wanted to spare it from at least one Northern NY winter and road salt.

I changed the oil in the spring 600 miles after removal from storage in March. I switched from Mobil 1 synthetic 5w-20 that the previous owner had used to AMSOIL Signature Series 5w-20 with the EA filter to match. I also ran the AMSOIL engine flush prior with a new filter attached prior to the change.

I have since run 7700 miles on this oil, and have noticed oil consumption over the last 4K miles. I need to improve my data capture process, but it is about 1/2 qt every 1300-1500 miles. I did not log these details in a spreadsheet, but I am adding 3-4 oz most every week and the car runs about 400-500 miles on average every week.

I wanted to pose this issue to the group to see if this is a consumption problem that may be associated to:
1) the change in oil from M1 to AMSOIL
or
2) the fact that winter storage in the cold broke down the oil and since the car started cold after 4 months of storage may have caused some damage

I had planned to run the AMSOIL for the extended OCI that they touted of 15K, but had changed my mind to change in late fall and early spring as we get some cold temps in the winter and wanted to have fresh oil for the cold winter AM starts.

I plan to do an oil change in the next week or two and will send a sample for UAO to see if that shows anything unusual. The previous owner had mentioned to me that he never noticed any oil consumption prior to sale and thought I should contact AMSOIL to see if this may be expected for an OCI or 2.

Any suggestions on the consumption issue and if there is any preferences for type/brand oil to address the issue?

Secondly, should I run 0W-20 in the winter as the area does get some -0 temp mornings? I would most likely switch back to 5w-20 for Spring-Fall OCI.

Last edited:
given the mileage (151k in 3 yrs?), I'd strongly recommend you to replace the PCV valve first before you proceed to looking at the oil consumption issues.

Q.

Originally Posted By: Quest
given the mileage (151k in 3 yrs?), I'd strongly recommend you to replace the PCV valve first before you proceed to looking at the oil consumption issues.

Q.

Thanks for the tip - I will change this in the very near term. Previous owner ran the car 1K per week on average...fun car to drive, wish I did the same.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Use an oem pcv valve. Usually, the internal spring breaks around 60k miles.

Planning to go with this one from a local parts store...does this look ok?

BWD/Intermotor PCV Valve - Part # PCV517

That's OK to use a non Honda PCV valve.

If you look on carcomplaints.com you will read many people have problems with oil consumption for their Accord.... even when brand new.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Hypothetical question. Would these accords burn oil if xW30 or xW40 oils were specified by the factory? Food for thought.

Leaning toward M1 5w-30 HM for next OCI. Is there much difference between M1 HM and the Valvoline max life?

M1 HM is synthetic while Valvoline Maxlife is semi-synthetic, Valvoline Maxlife is available in full-synthetic but hard to find.

If you like to try HM oil, you should try 5W20 after replaced PVC.

* Edit time expired *

Switch year from 2009 to 2008 Accord and read what 4 cylinder owners are saying about consumption. I doubt those people are bored and posting false info.

I have a 2005 that has 160,300 miles on it. Was it consuming oil before switching to Amsoil? The PCV valve stays clean in this particular engine family. Mine was still in excellent shape around 120k miles.

You can run any oil in the Honda 2.4L and get 200k out of it. I'm using MaxLife 5w20 now for the added seal conditioners, price and extra detergents. Mobil 1 HM is excellent, but on the thicker side.

If it is the oil, it's most likely due to just switching the chemistry and you may need a good 5k miles before it settles down.

I'd stop topping it off every week and run it a half quart low to see if consumption slows... I'll only add a quart to my my '98 Grand Marquis if the current OCI will likely use most of what's added(which is approx 5K mi per quart)...

Originally Posted By: buster
I have a 2005 that has 160,300 miles on it. Was it consuming oil before switching to Amsoil? The PCV valve stays clean in this particular engine family. Mine was still in excellent shape around 120k miles.

You can run any oil in the Honda 2.4L and get 200k out of it. I'm using MaxLife 5w20 now for the added seal conditioners, price and extra detergents. Mobil 1 HM is excellent, but on the thicker side.

If it is the oil, it's most likely due to just switching the chemistry and you may need a good 5k miles before it settles down.

I have mentioned the recent behavior to the previous owner and he stated that the car had not used oil between changes when owned the car. I have 7700 miles on the oil now and am seeing a fairly consistent level of usage, but will continue to track consumption.

I have heard good things about the Valvoline MaxLife and it is definitely on the short-list of candidates for the next OCI. I have enough Amsoil for another change - should I use up the remaining after the PCV change or shift to a HM oil? I am leaning to move to a HM as it does have the added ingredients to address this mileage range.

Thanks for the input all, it is greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back