Should I use heavier weight oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1993 Isuzu Trooper with 277,000 miles. Is using about a qt or 2 every 3000 miles. Currently using 5W-30 Penn Yellow bottle. It's got a few leaks as well. Live in SW VA near NC border. Normally 10-90 degrees.

Should I go up to a 10W-40 or a 5W-40 or what?

OK. I'm gonna wait on some sort of consensus...Not gonna be clear winner like in the 1st presidential debate.

If it's the valve seals causing the loss of oil, perhaps a high mileage oil would work. But if it's getting past the rings than a thicker oil would be more beneficial.

Originally Posted By: Topo
If it's the valve seals causing the loss of oil, perhaps a high mileage oil would work. But if it's getting past the rings than a thicker oil would be more beneficial.

+1

Here you go, try a good HM oil like M1 HM. Valvoline ML is OK too but I think you should just try the better one off the bat. Give it a couple tries. If It does not do anything after 2 OCI's or you still have to add 2 qts at the 6k mile mark, switch over to a thicker oil like 10w40.

What does Isuzu recommend? Don't change viscosity based only on mileage, nor would I recommend 'High mileage' oils...i think that's a lot of marketing hype. A qt. every 3k isn't significant at 277k, especialy when you've also got leaks.

Perhaps try MaxLife 5w-30. It certainly slowed the leaks in the old F-150. I don't know how well it works with consumption per se, since it didn't burn oil, just leaked it like crazy. As chubbs1 mentioned, give it a couple OCIs at least, regardless of which one you choose. Additionally, I don't think there's a lot wrong with trying 10w-30 in your climate, either.

Originally Posted By: Topo

SOOO...maybe a HM thicker oil would do the trick???? It's not smoking on start up if that helps diagnosis.

Originally Posted By: Noey
What does Isuzu recommend? Don't change viscosity based only on mileage, nor would I recommend 'High mileage' oils...i think that's a lot of marketing hype. A qt. every 3k isn't significant at 277k, especialy when you've also got leaks.

I'll place my vote for this. 1qt every 3k miles isn't a lot.

I'd try maxlife first in a weight near what the car calls for. I'd vote the rotella as next try if that doesn't work. M1 hm is also an option but I think it's too pricey if you're going through oil, plus from what I've tried...the maxlife slowed my burning better and cost less.

dparm thinks like I do. Use a HM 5ww30 because winter is coming. If you have to add a quart or two, so what. At least you know you will have good oil in the motor. Next summer you could try a higher weight oil. Valvoline Nextgen 5w30 is my vote if you are counting. You can be a little green in the process also.
cheers3.gif

Yea.....15w40 is definitely too thick....though....as a "top off" oil, if you plan to continue using the "manufacturer spec" oil, 5w-30....I can't see a 15w40 causing much harm.....for a quart top off here and there.....

If it's not blowing smoke though.....hows your tail pipe look....is it carboned up/black? If it is...that could indicate some oil seeping past the rings and burning.....but it may just be seal leaks within the engine.....in that case, the HM oil may be able to spring some life to the seals....probably wouldn't hurt to hose down the undercarriage though and take a gander, to see where it's leaking from exactly.

use 5w30 high mileage it works well but whatever is on sale....
I have used pennzoil high mileage and it worked well in everything i used it in...

Last edited:
In your vehicle I would first try Mobil 1 HM 10W30 for two OCI's of 5K miles. Make sure you check the oil level every few hundred miles to make sure oil is fully topped off.

I would then go to a 5w40 Rotella if you do not get the results you want with Mobil 1 HM...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back