Primacy MXM4 or what and when?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
The wife's 08 VW rabbit has 40k miles on it. The OE tires are still on it - Continental ContiProContact in 205/55-16. When I was doing the 40k service on the car the other weekend, I measured the tires with a Milton gauge and found that they have 6/32" of tread left.

The tires originally had 9 or 10/32 of tread.

So not bad... 4/32 of tread in 40k miles, so notionally we can get 60-80k miles out of the set of tires. That is typical for us, we drive gently for good MPGs, and keep the tires pressured up.

But now one tire seems to have a slow leak, another has a screw in it. I dont have an issue with the leak, as it is REALLY slow, like months before tripping the TPMS, but now we will be driving on two tires that are plugged.

At 6/32 Im comfortable with the tires in the snow, espoecially since any real snow driving we would do in my saab that has real snow tires, and we will be more inclined to stay home this winter anyway. So we could probably go to next fall, certainly treadwear wont be an issue.

But if we have the new tire itch... What is the recommendation. Im not buying any Chinese tires, first world only. Michelin Primacy MXM4 seems hard to beat. Out the door at sears with lifetime balance and rotation and TPMS rebuild is like $806 or $836 ot so. So with a $70 Michelin rebate, it wouldnt be bad. But recommendations? Also, i can't see trashing tires at 6/32, but when would you trade them for new ones?

Not sure what to recommend exactly but I can give you some warning not to get Goodyear Viva Authority Fuel Max. I have those in the same size as your car takes and very disappointed with them. My car had Goodyear Assurance tires on it before and those were great but not LRR tires. Well I see exactly the same fuel economy with these fuel efficient tires but the traction is not very good and they are like driving on marshmallows. Do some research and ask around before buying because it seems that some really do not perform well. Had the Michelins as well and never was a fan of Michelin because most models that I had driven on were very bad with traction in most situations. Paying more for the name than anything else. Michelin Hydroedge was a good tire and the new Destiny that replaces it seems to be getting good reviews as well. Goodyear Tripletreads were something I also had previously and they were very good in all conditions including some nasty snow storms.

Do you have Discount Tire nearby ? Get the best price online (Shipping included) and get DT to match. But since you don't need tire right away, you should wait few months when DT has $100/$50 rebate for 4/2 tires, couple with Michelin rebate (usually $70 for 4) your total cost after installed, balance, tax should be less than $600 for 205/55-16.

We preferred the MXV over the MXM on our '09 VW.

A little more, but a better tire, IMO.

my primacy michelins were made in Romania, sez so on the sidewall. I thought they were all made in greenville sc. 205 65 15

wonder what Quality control is like in Romania?

Originally Posted By: Stanley Rockafeller
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?...;wtpackage=true

the only tire I recommend and will use unti they stop making them. Soooo durable, and awesome. Just read the reviews from others and they also agree

Do you use these over the winter?
How are they on snow and ice?
I understand what DWS stands for, but Continental would not be the first brand to overstate a tire's capabilities, which is why I'm asking you, since you obviously like these tires.

JHZR2,
smile.gif

If your having good success with the OE ContiProContact tires on you VW, keep'em til you need to replacement them...Oh IDK, 3-4/32nds! And yes, the Michelin MXM4 or MXV4 would be a nice replacement. So would another set of OE Conti's if you like'em. DWS as well but...

If you folks don't drive this car much in the foul weather then there is no need to spend the BIG BUCKS yet! It sound more like you just have the itch to get new tires rather than really needing them. A couple of tire plugs/patches done right is no harm to the tire.

Seems as though the ContiPro's have treated you well thus far! Much better that the 17,000 miles that I got on my OE ContiTouringContact for my Altima 2.5S

Don't get me wrong, I love having new tires on all of my vehicles but, I'm never in a big hurry to spend $800 til I have to(3-4/32nd as I mentioned)or when the tires just don't perform well. I have gotten rid of tires with 6/32nds just because the didn't perform to our liking in foul weather. On any decent day, the poor tires were fine!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
It sound more like you just have the itch to get new tires rather than really needing them. A couple of tire plugs/patches done right is no harm to the tire.

You've got it, and that's good reassurance to me!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
We preferred the MXV over the MXM on our '09 VW.

A little more, but a better tire, IMO.

Interesting. Didnt know these were the same class tires. The Primacy MXM4 was rated 1st in the TireRack tests from 2010 (didnt realize that tire was that old already!), while the MXV4 has slipped to 2nd place in a 2012 test. I assume that the ratings can be compared within a group, so the MXV4 rated 7.35 overall, the MXM4 7.37 overall (spliting hairs). The MXV4 did rate better on everything but wet track, which might be our most relevant metric - wet stopping and handling is probably the most relevant safety aspect. If the MXM4 is noisier than the MXV4, that is an important consideration... Thanks for bringing the MXV4 to my attention.

Then again, didnt The Critic NOT like the Primacy MXV4 tires on his prius?

No disrespect to the other gentleman, but I don't think I'd consider a Prius the optimum test bed for this class of tire.

I can assure you, the MXV does very well in wet conditions. And it is a decisively more comfortable tire than the MXM, perhaps an enhanced consideration on a tauter VW chassis.

We have MXVs on two vehicles, and they excel. Believe me, if I could run the MXM and get the same performance, I would have.

We also have the DWS. It is a slightly more sporty tire than either of the Michelins. It is very comfortable as UHP tires go, but it is not GT smooth or comfortable. The jury for wear and durability of the DWS is still out for us.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Thanks for bringing the MXV4 to my attention.

Note that there are multiple products containing the MXV4 label. I put Primacy MXV4 (215/55-16) on a (used, new to me) HHR last week. From Costco, they were less expensive than the MXM4 ... but H vs. V ... and with only 600 or so miles, they are nice.

In your size, they, and the Bridgestone Touranza Serenity Plus (in H speed rating) are all the same $$, $140 each ... before the $70 off Michelin currently active for 4.

No disrespect to the other gentleman, but I don't think I'd consider a Prius the optimum test bed for this class of tire.

I can assure you, the MXV does very well in wet conditions. And it is a decisively more comfortable tire than the MXM, perhaps an enhanced consideration on a tauter VW chassis.

We have MXVs on two vehicles, and they excel. Believe me, if I could run the MXM and get the same performance, I would have.

So you have run the MXM tires before then? MXM seems to be a newer tire design and sold as the "better" tire.

Thanks!

Here is a good description of the differences between the MXM4 and the MXV4:

".......Some background - the Primacy MXV4 is more biased towards comfort and better snow traction, and does have the edge for wear life. The Primacy MXM4 is meant more for driving feel, cornering, dry and wet traction. It is snow capable, but it does give some of that up with respect to the MXV4 in order to get you more in the direction of that "sporting" feel. Both are in the "Luxury Performance Touring" level so it's not like either would be a bad choice, and we're talking about relative differences here, but it sounds to me the Primacy MXM4 would be best for you.

Take a look at the tread design and you'll see more edges in the MXV4, which, all else being equal, generally gets you better snow traction. The MXM4 has less edges and bigger blocks - better for handling. Of course there's many more factors so this is "in general" but what I would say is true for these two. ......."

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/90-tire-discussion/28785-michelin-mxm4.html

you don't need TPMS rebuild kit.

You only need it if they remove the nut on the TPMS sensor/valve stem.

If they remove the needle plunger on the schrader valve to rapidly deflate the tires, no rebuild kit will address this.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

If they remove the needle plunger on the schrader valve to rapidly deflate the tires, no rebuild kit will address this.

Then what????

Pretty sure the critic always was showing tpms rebuild on the services he has listed. So youre saying it is not needed? No o-ring to get old and split or whatnot?

You are correct in that the MXV4 delivers a more comfortable ride at the expense of reduced steering response and handling.

However, I disagree with you that you cannot adequately judge tire performance using a relatively new Prius - it is not like I was trying to compare tires on an old car with blown shocks and 200k mile old springs.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

Then what????

Pretty sure the critic always was showing tpms rebuild on the services he has listed. So youre saying it is not needed? No o-ring to get old and split or whatnot?

It is nice to do, but not required. An analogy would be replacing the water pump when you are doing the timing belt.

If you do not disassemble the TPMS sensor, then it is not mandatory to install a repack/rebuild kit. Obviously there is no reason to disassemble the TPMS during a routine tire swap. However, rubber does age...so after several years, it is a good practice to replace them while the tire is off.

I just chose the MXV4 for my 2010 Maxima. So far very happy - very nice ride for 45 series V rated tire.

I put a set of Michelin Primacy MXM4s on my boss's 2008 VW Passat. That was 17,000 miles ago, and today, the tires still have 8/32" on all 4 corners. The car received an alignment about 7k after the tires were installed, and rotations every 7-8k. Noise, handling and steering response have not changed since new - which is very impressive. Traction is phenomenal for an all-season. I truly believe that these are the best all-seasons you can put on a daily driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back