Anyone here have a 2013 Accord?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just took delivery of a 2013 Accord EX-L with the 2.4. Just want to know if anyone has done an oil change on one yet and if so do you have any info on the process good or bad. The dealer did tell me the engine had break-in oil already in it that needed to be run for a full cycle of probably 6-8k miles or until 15% left.

You seen this?

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Just went to the Honda Owner's Link website.

I also found this while browsing the site:

Why should I wait to change the oil the first time?

Your Honda engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process.

American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions.

How often should I change my oil after the first service?

Refer to your owner's manual for the recommended service intervals. Separate maintenance schedules are listed for "normal service" and "severe service." Read the description of severe service carefully. Most vehicles will fall under the normal service category. Note that the service intervals are listed by time in addition to distance. Your oil should be changed at whichever interval, time or distance, occurs first.

There is absolutely no benefit in changing your oil more frequently than recommended in your owner's manual. This will only increase your cost of ownership, and create an unnecessary burden upon the environment by increasing the amount of disposed oil.

Do not exceed the recommended maintenance interval. Oil eventually deteriorates and loses its ability to protect your engine, due to heat, friction, and exposure to exhaust components. Engine oil contains special additives to enhance the oil's performance, and these additives are also broken down or consumed with distance and time. Engine damage can occur if the proper maintenance schedule is not followed.

My owners manual says to do what the maintenance minder says to do.

The new "Earth Dreams" engine is still a K series, just with a new head and direct injection. The DI is my main concern. Most DI engines show higher fuel dilution during UOA's, and I wonder how Honda's longer drain intervals will hold up. I wonder how Honda dealt with the other DI issues too? Time will tell.

The K24W1 seems to have more torque than the K24Z3 in my Accord. Even though they run the same compression ratio, the K24Z3 makes more HP. I'm surprised Honda is only running a 11.1:1 compression in a DI engine. Most naturally aspirated DI engines are 12 to 14:1.

I did not run the MM to 15% on my Accord. I changed it at 40% which was around 5000 miles or so. No oil consumption to speak of.

Anyway, enjoy the new Accord! I really like the new interior design. Keep us posted as to what mileage you are getting with the Accord.

Unless they changed the location of the oil filter on my 07 the filter is on the back side of the block up and horizontal. It is a bit messy to change... I have plenty of psper towels and some brake clean handy.....

For anyone considering a Honda V6, I would suggest doing some research on the VCM engines in Accords and Odysseys. Here's a long running thread at Edmonds with two new engine failures in the 70,000 mile range. Honda seems to have moved from stonewalling good customers and denying the problems to quietly fixing them. Still, 70,000 miles out of a Honda?

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f169a0d/2703

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
For anyone considering a Honda V6, I would suggest doing some research on the VCM engines in Accords and Odysseys. Here's a long running thread at Edmonds with two new engine failures in the 70,000 mile range. Honda seems to have moved from stonewalling good customers and denying the problems to quietly fixing them. Still, 70,000 miles out of a Honda?

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f169a0d/2703

Truth be told, don't consider a Honda V6... haha
(They are well known for building the best 4cyls out there)

No more SLA front suspension on the new accord = massive cheap out in an important aspect of front suspension design. If they use a version of evo knuckle modified strut, it may be/steer OK though.

Originally Posted By: rszappa1
Unless they changed the location of the oil filter on my 07 the filter is on the back side of the block up and horizontal. It is a bit messy to change... I have plenty of psper towels and some brake clean handy.....

They have, and I'm surprised that an '07 K-series still has the old horizontal filter location. Our '08 CR-V has an oil filter mount that hangs the filter right down the back of the engine, about flush with the bottom of the oil pan, and vertical. With the slightly taller ride height of the CR-V, I don't even use ramps anymore to change the oil. It's got to be one of the easiest oil changes short of having a cartridge top-mounted.

It appears that Honda has taken a somewhat conservative approach to direct injection. The compression ratio isn't all that high and power isn't all that high. But economy is near top-of-class and fuel dilution may not be an issue in Honda's implementation, we don't yet know.

run the FF to 15% or lower. FF is loaded with moly and should be kept in the sump for the duration of the break in.

I am going to leave the FF in for the full run. I am thinking of going with 0w20 Kendall which i can get shipped for around 5.63 a quart.

the position of the oil filter is now much much better on the new Accord

IMAG0403.jpg

Yeah, but now anyone can change an oil filter on a k-series motor. Used to be it took an enthusiast -- someone who was willing to have hot motor oil run down their arm and all over the half-shaft and the hot exhaust flex-pipe. Then, as a reminder of your dedication, for at least a hundred miles after the clean-up you'd smell motor oil cooking off the exhaust. The noobs miss all that.
grin.gif

Looks like i need some new ramps for the new accord because the clearance is to low for my current ramps to work. any suggestions?

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: rszappa1

They have, and I'm surprised that an '07 K-series still has the old horizontal filter location. Our '08 CR-V has an oil filter mount that hangs the filter right down the back of the engine, about flush with the bottom of the oil pan, and vertical.

I still prefer the old-style mount. The new style mounting makes the oil filter too close to the drain plug for a socket+ratchet, thus sometimes necessitating the need to remove the oil filter before you can drain the oil.

I used to suffer like that. Now I use a zip lock bag placed around the filter while unscrewing it. No more drip. I'm glad to see the new filter location is a lot easier to access.

Originally Posted By: vortex9
I used to suffer like that. Now I use a zip lock bag placed around the filter while unscrewing it. No more drip. I'm glad to see the new filter location is a lot easier to access.

Dang, that makes so much sense, why didn't I think of it sometime during the past zillion years I've been doing my vehcicles. I like that idea a LOT! Thank you sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back