Will W-D40 Remove Vent Visor Glue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently removed my Vent Visors that have been on my car since 2005 due to them cracking..Will W-40 help get that glue off the metal around the windows.

Thanks in advance!

Hmmm... If it is a very sensitive area with seals and stuff, and the glue is dry, you are in a bit of trouble.

Personally, I'd peel and orange, and rub the peel vigorously around on it to see if it starts to lift it up a bit.

The next step would be to find a citrus solvent. Find an old windshield wiper blade insert and see if it melts it, pour on styrofoam etc. and see if it melts it, read reviews on the stuff etc.

I had to remove dry duct tape off a sliding door at an apartment once, and that stuff was like concrete. An orange cleaner took it off, it was great stuff but I can't remember the name.

Don't use Goof Off or anything like that, too powerful. Xylene is bad news on anything automotive.

Maybe a Citrus engine cleaner on a small rag?

+1 on Simple green as Gumby stated, forgot about that great product. Used to use it to wash down a nitro RC car, and was all plastic, aluminum, steel, and rubber. Never caused any issues at all.

Harbor freight sells plastic scrapers. WD and a plastic scraper should work. I have found that acrylic plastic scrapers work really well getting things off paint.

Believe it or not, peanut butter. I've used it on occasion to remove adhesive. It seems the oils in the peanut butter soften the adhesive, and with a bit of work it comes off. Worth a try, it's fairly harmless.

Thanks everybody!

I have a new can of WD-40 in my trunk..Between the WD-40,Simple Green and the Peanut Butter I am sure I will get it off..As soon as it stops raining long enough I will get to it.

I think they sell Goo Gone at Auto Zone specifically for automotive paint. Goo Gone does an excellent job at removing adhesives. I would use a purpose-built product rather than a rust penetrant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back