Coming in 2013: Mopar coolant mayhem :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend just forwarded me a PDF of the StarParts newsletter sent to Mopar dealerships. It doesn't make me happy.

Page 4's text reads:

HOAT (Hybrid Organic) to OAT (Organic) Coolant Transition

2013 Vehicles
All 2013 vehicles manufactured for NAFTA
use a new coolant type called OAT which
contains only organic components.

2000 – 2012 Vehicles
2000 – 2012 vehicles manufactured for
NAFTA use a hybrid organic coolant called
HOAT which consists of a combination of
organic additives (fully neutralized organic
acids) and one or more inorganic materials

Please note that HOAT coolant and OAT coolant ARE NOT interchangeable.

In fact, if you mix the two coolants by mistake – you could end up with a serious problem
as shown in the picture below.

Also, if OAT-type coolant is mixed with HOAT-type coolant at greater than 95/5 ratio,
corrosion inhibition will be severely reduced or eliminated. That means if one of your
technicians adds the wrong coolant type to a customer’s vehicle – it will be very expensive
to resolve and may require replacing the engine.

If you add HOAT to an OAT system in error, or the reverse – what happens?
If you add up to 5% - nothing will happen. But if you add more than 5% it will lead to a
corrosion problem inside the engine.

Worse than that, there are pictures that prove what some of us have suspected all along: the CURRENT Mopar HOAT coolant color is not very consistent or predictable. A picture quad shows 4 coolant samples. HOAT production and sevice coolant samples, and OAT production and service coolant samples. The production HOAT (G-05) is an orange color... redder than DexCool, but also clearly not a pure red. No other way to describe it than a darkish orange. The HOAT (G-05) service sample is a pure deep red.

Now for the really ugly bit: the 2013+ production OAT is a bright cherry red and easily confused with the current service G-05, but the 2013+ OAT service part is.... BLUE.

WTHeck? I mean seriously, are they TRYING to cause technician errors?!?!?

Buy an old car.I repeat that,buy an old car.Forget the new ones.If you make the mistake,unload it when the financing is paid off.No auto parts store will keep all these fluids needed.....dozens of coolants.Fat chance.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Buy an old car.I repeat that,buy an old car.Forget the new ones.If you make the mistake,unload it when the financing is paid off.No auto parts store will keep all these fluids needed.....dozens of coolants.Fat chance.

NAPA keeps like 20 types of Zerex here. LOL

And people wonder why maintenance on new cars is so expensive. Its because of [censored] like this. I already order 10 different kinds of oil , 6 different kinds of coolants and various flush/cleaning kits. Another headache to add to the list. yay!

Wonder where they found RED G-05? Only seen orange Mopar & gold Motorcraft & Zerex around here. Wonder if the new OAT is Dex in disguise or more phosphate (i.e. Asian style)? Another reason to DIY!

As long as you remember to shop for coolants based on chemistry/ingredients and NOT color, you should be fine. The problem is getting other people to understand that.

Not likely a cash grab. More likely MOPAR trying to be compatible with the rest of the world which has slowly and inevitably been pushing to OAT coolants.

Technology is moving fast. And only because consumers demand more for less.

There's a lot more changes a-coming, better hang on...

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Wonder where they found RED G-05? Only seen orange Mopar & gold Motorcraft & Zerex around here. Wonder if the new OAT is Dex in disguise or more phosphate (i.e. Asian style)? Another reason to DIY!

I would call *ALL* the Mopar G-05 I've ever seen more "red" than "orange," but the factory fill is close enough to DexCool orange to cause confusion. Color really does mean nothing with regard to antifreeze anymore.

The bulletin didn't talk at all about the actual chemistry, but I'd assume its closer to DexCool than an Asian style P-OAT.

Rule one of manufacturing cars:
Make sure those who buy the cars wear them out.

Rule two:
If the cars do not wear themselves out fast enough the create a situation where they have to be serviced at a Stealership and have particularly difficult methods of being serviced.
Nobody can accuse you of design obsolescence being programmed into the vehicles. And you can "program" a statistic turnover into your assembly line.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I would call *ALL* the Mopar G-05 I've ever seen more "red" than "orange," but the factory fill is close enough to DexCool orange to cause confusion. Color really does mean nothing with regard to antifreeze anymore.

The bulletin didn't talk at all about the actual chemistry, but I'd assume its closer to DexCool than an Asian style P-OAT.

Agreed. The color causes a lot of confusion around here...

What is stopping someone from buying one of these at 5 years old, and flushing out all of the old coolant completely and adding a more "simple" coolant.

Does it need special coolant for gaskets?

My understanding of cooling systems is they are pretty simple and all very similar.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88
What is stopping someone from buying one of these at 5 years old, and flushing out all of the old coolant completely and adding a more "simple" coolant.

Does it need special coolant for gaskets?

My understanding of cooling systems is they are pretty simple and all very similar.

Maybe nothing except a 100k change interval prevents that. Its was true for a while that (if you wanted) you could dump G-05 out of most Mopars that pre-dated G-05 and use conventional OAT-free silicate coolant, but you had to use a short change interval. Finding out FOR SURE that the "simple" chemistry really and truly protects all the diverse metals and polymers (gaskets) in the cooling system is a tough thing. If it turns out that the Mopar chemistry is a true OAT based on 2-EHA, then problem solved: just use DexCool. But so far we don't know what it really is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back