Toro 621 4 stroke - what oil to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up a new-to-me used Toro 621 that has a Loncin 163cc 4 stroke engine. What are you guys running for oil? I was gonna start with some Pennzoil Platinum 5w30.

I use Rotella 30 wt in my mower and Rotella 5W40 in my snowblower. One is a 7 HP B&S engine (mower) and the other is an 8 HP Tecumseh approaching 30 years of age with a lot of hard snowblowing in its past! Both were bought new and serviced by me

I got 20 years out of a Tecumseh with Castrol 20-50. Wouldn't use it in a smow blower though.
smile.gif

Yeah I'll tear into the engine tomorrow. I kind of took a chance and bought this one sight unseen. The engine may be brand new. Manufacturer recommends 5w30 synth. I run 5w30 Platinum in my Chevy anyway, so I usually have it in the garage.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Boomer
I use Rotella 30 wt in my mower and Rotella 5W40 in my snowblower. One is a 7 HP B&S engine (mower) and the other is an 8 HP Tecumseh approaching 30 years of age with a lot of hard snowblowing in its past! Both were bought new and serviced by me

What oil did you run in your snowblower before the 5w40? Just curious that's a long lasting engine!

Any 5W-30 synthetic will work just fine. If you have a long driveway, 0W-40 or 5W-40 would be a consideration.

Here is the Loncin G160F 163cc in my Toro 621. It runs super-smooth on the Pennzoil Platinum 5w30. This engine sounds a lot like my Honda GCV 160.

With her skirts on:

Bring on the snow baby!!!

Until I shifted to Rotella 5W-30 several years ago, I just used PYB 5W-30. This thing has worked very hard over the years. For over two decades I did an entire cul de sac curb to curb and several driveways. Many times the snow was over 2' deep. It is a Lawn Boy (actually a Gilson) with gear drive. Can't get a gear drive any more on a snowblower that I know of.

Originally Posted By: cycloxer
You think the 0 weight helps with the cold weather starting ability?

Most certainly. I can start my mower with a few pulls now during the winter. Before I went with 0W I had a 10W/15W and could barely turn the engine over. No way would it start.

What does the manual say? That's always the best place to know for sure. I know for my Ryobi 4 stroke it calls for 20w-50. I am running 15w-40 Amsoil AME diesel oil in it now.

Manual says 5w30 synthetic so I went with 5w30 Pennzoil Platinum. It starts on the first pull right now, so I will try this for the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back