Proper Oil Filter Tightening

Status
Not open for further replies.
The oil filter boxes typically say 2/3 to 3/4 of a turn once the gasket contacts the base.

However, if one were to follow this, you will still be able to turn the filter more with little difficulty. I don't know if I would sleep well with this.

For me, I usually tighten the filter with my hands only...as tight as I can get it. Although I have never marked the filter, subjectively, I am guessing that it is between 1 and 1.25 turns past the gasket contacting the engine.

I have never had a problem with filter removal, though I usually have to use a nylon or metal filter socket; removal is a bit too difficult with a pliers-type wrench.

To date, knock on wood, I have never had any complaints with leakage.

How do you folks feel about the 2/3 to 3/4 turn recommendation? Do you follow it? Or how many of you follow the procedure that I use?

I just turn it until it becomes hard to turn, which is about a turn, and I have never had a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the same procedure you do. I just tighten by hand until it's nice and snug. I never use tools to tighten. I figure on my engine hand tight is plenty safe.

I have never had an oil filter I installed leak, nor have I had trouble removing one I installed.

I don't think you will do any damage by going over the 3/4 turn suggestion, that's probably just a CYA to avoid liabilities from people cranking it down with a wrench until it won't budge.

The few cars that I have seen with a spec call for about 10 ft/lbs. Not very much.

I'm like everyone else, hand tighten only and I have never had a leak.

Only about 50 years of oil changes.

PS: There was one leak about 40 years ago: Didn't notice the used filter gasket did not come off. Done in bad lighting. Wound up with 2 gaskets.

If you think 2 gaskets is twice as good...........no way. Made a mess on start up. So always be sure the gasket comes off with the old filter.

Flat and d seals 1/2 to 3/4 turn, that's all you need. P or tadpole seals go tighter, almost until the base touches metal, but it's still not that tight. The seal does the sealing, not how tight it is.

As silk said, they don't need to be very tight to do their job perfectly adequately.

In our design classes, we were told not to over compress elastomeric seals, as that degrades their ultimate performance.

just as the oil filter stickers say, be it 1/2 turn or 1 1/4 turn past gasket contact. over tightening is not as bad as under tightening, but actually seems to cause leaks as well as making it nearly impossible to remove later.

I've always tightened with a clean dry hand. When it's time to come off, it takes a filter wrench to remove. Never had a problem. Always put some fresh oil on the seal when installing.

I have always been able to remove filters by hand, even if a shop installed it. I just wear some Mechanix gloves and use two hands if necessary - luckily my hands are small. I always tighten oil filters hand tight; once they don't turn much more by one hand's force, I stop.

My Pathfinder's owner's manual states an oil filter tightening torque of 10.85 to 15.12 ft-lbs, a spec strangely not found in the service manual.

1/2 to 3/4 turn is all I do. Never a problem with leakage and if I need to use an adjustable wrench it comes right off. I'd be worried about the gasket spreading too thin when over-tightening.

If you look at your old o-ring from one you installed previously you should see it squished/deformed/flattened slightly. Or at least I have been.
lol.gif

The oil helps that o ring flatten out under compression. It's squishy and no need to over do it.

K&N's safety wire hole to the contrary I've never known one to vibrate itself counterclockwise either, enough sticktion on that gasket to hold it on.

I use a filter wrench on and off, but I do not torque it down to the max. I spin it by hand until it is very snug and then go another 1/2 to 2/3 turn past that.

Yes, it is tight and cannot be removed without a wrench, but I have never had a leak either. Obviously, this means that you have to have room to use a wrench
grin.gif

I have always installed the filter by hand as best as I could then a 1/2 turn with a the filter wrench. Never any leaks and never and trouble removing. I wouldn't feel comfortable securing it only with my hands.

Last edited:
The Quaker State's I've been using say 3/4 to 1 turn after gasket contact. One turn is about the max I want to do by hand so it works out well. I use a filter wrench to remove to make it easy on me.

I generally watch the filter as I turn it and as tight as I can turn it by hand is usually less than one turn, I think.

Originally Posted By: riff1006
1/2 to 3/4 turn is all I do.

That, after contact - on the can types.

If it's a cartridge, whatever torque is imprinted on the canister housing (usually 25nm).

Just make sure the old gasket is off before the new one goes on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back