$20 Walmart fuel injector cleaning service...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last week I was desperate for an oil change and I couldn't do it myself, so I had it done while I was at WM.

The guy who took down my info talked me into getting the fuel injector service while I was there. Since it was only $20, I agreed.

My truck (95 F150) runs much better after the cleaning. It idles more smoothly and it can actually accelerate when going uphill now.

I watched the treatment being done. They hang a can from the hood and go in to the engine through the brake booster line. The setup looks a little like an refrigerant recharge.

They let the engine idle for 10-15 minutes with the stuff going in. I had my 92 Toyota pickup done this weekend. Same story, the treatment helped a lot with idle and acceleration.

Seems like a good deal for $20.

Last edited:
Brake booster cleanout? Low tech job, and I dont see how that is actualy cleaning the injectors. Now, if they were injecting it through the fuel rail, that would be another story...

Ive done the same kind of cleaning with solvent in my driveway. Hopefully there is more to it than what you stated.

Yep. I love the stuff.....I typically do it every 20k...the very first time I had it done on my 88 Dodge Aries that had been sitting for 2+ years.....whew...what a smoke show....even the guy said, the cars don't typically "smoke" as bad as mine did....lol.

They use a seafoam type product through the brake booster and then add a fuel system cleaner to the gas tank.

Pretty sure they completely rooked you with a smoke and mirrors show that will never clean the injectors. Any smoke these products make in the exhaust are a result of the product burning only.

Your experience is purely psychosomatic.

Originally Posted By: Brenden
I'm pretty sure they use products that you get in the 3m tune up kit.

If they use products similar to 3M tune up kit, then $20 is not bad.

I don't think adding injector cleaner through the booster hiose will do much for the injectors, but it might clean things up a bit in the intake system on direct injection engines.

I did a treatment like this a few years ago with Seafoam. I'm not sure what it cleans up but it sure helped my old clunkers.

I've ran quite a bit of FP3000 through both of these trucks, so I was surprised at the difference this cleaning made.

Anyway, if what you drive has a few miles on it and you can't always DIY, the $20 service at WM might be just what you're looking for.

I'll use it again...

They did NOT clean the injectors, as advertized. They lied to you.

This is a half rear ended way to do any cleaning. Substandard and I never recommend crud down the intake.

What do you think was cleaned that made your cars run better??

Last edited:
Usually, a "fuel injection cleaning service" includes what you mentioned, a drip system into the booster vacuum hose, in addition to a couple other items. A fuel cleaner poured into the gas tank, and a throttle body cleaning. You can do it yourself for $20 but if they did all 3 then you got a good deal. Most places charge $60-100.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
putting a chemicle in the brake booster hose wont do a thing for the injectors
I don't see how it would unless something goes into the fuel rail as well.

Going through booster hose, it goes through intake manifold and over the intake valves and whatnot. That's why a complete cleaning involves that along with throttle body cleaning and something through the fuel tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back