Gunk engine flush fixed my lifter tick!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of desperation I tried this yesterday to see if it would fix a ticky lifter in my 3800 V6. I'd been running Schaeffer's 10W30 in it with good results, and had about 6000 miles on this oil change when I tried this. This isn't something new either...It's had a light lifter tick for some time now, so I figured I'd try one last thing before I tore into it and replaced the lifters.
We had a bottle of Gunk 5 minute engine flush at the shop and I dumped that in there and ran the engine at 1500 RPM (that's the speed the lifter made the most noise) for about a half hour. I could hear it getting quieter but it was still there.
I dumped the oil and filter and refilled it with our bulk oil which is Citgo Superguard 10W30 to use as a rinse oil. Ran it for about 15 minutes at 2000 RPM and drained the oil. It was black as tar so I did this process again and the second time around it was somewhat clear and no longer smelled of solvent.
I then filled it up with Pennzoil High Mileage 10W30 since I didn't have any Schaeffer's at the shop and the one place I get it from was closed for the holiday weekend.
Started it up and slowly revved it and there was absolutely no more noise! Whatever was in there must have gotten cleaned out!

I'll switch back to Schaeffer's in a thousand miles or so, even though this Pennzoil seems to be working really good so far.

Subject: Oil Change / Engine Flush

When you change oil,it's best to change it hot.
This way all the crud is in suspension.

Before you start the engine add 1/2 Qt.of diesel fuel.

Do not rev engine.
Let it idle.

When operating temps achieved,
shut down and drain.

When you think it's drained to your satisfaction pour another 1/2 Qt. straight through engine.

This will pick up extra residue on bottom of pan.

I have been doing this for about five years with every oil change on two cars with no problem.
Good Luck !

Now showing in theaters...Attack of the Killer Diesel Fuel!!!

Gunk 5 minute flush is 100% diesel fuel. Valvoline's competing product is kerosene, which is a chemical cousin to diesel. From experience I know that Marvel Mystery Oil also cures lifter ticks when used long-term (days, not minutes). Score one for the old-school remedies! Evidently Grandpa knew more than we give him credit for...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back