Another Fram Tough Guard Cut Open - TG3614

Status
Not open for further replies.
After seeing DirtRacers post showing a cut open Fram Tough Guard filter, I decided I couldn't trust the one I had in the stash so I cut it open too.
I didn't see the major QC problems DirtRacer found with his but it certainly isn't IMHO a top shelf filter. Here Are the photos:
21exnnp.jpg

2a6rv4g.jpg

This photo shows how off centered the cardboard endcaps are on the filtering media.

ejc5s2.jpg

I have no idea what these discolored splotches are...

2lse3h3.jpg

Showing some very uneven pleats.

10gl9oy.jpg

Angle View.

Everything looked glued correctly and I didn't see any paths for oil bypass but nothing special here either. The center tube was round,
the ADV looked good, the filter was functional. I guess if I were characterize this, I would say it just looks like there is no "pride of workmanship" here.

Last edited:
I had no problem with that filter (cardboard end-caps) until I saw the huge pleat spacing in the last two photos.....that's terrible quality control. That spacing alone would take these filters off my list....

If only Fram came in clear housings,I dont think anyone would buy one.Wonder how bad their drop in elements look?

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
If only Fram came in clear housings,I dont think anyone would buy one.Wonder how bad their drop in elements look?

Cartridge filters don't look too bad at all. TG9018

Pleat spacing doesn't concern me, bypass design is fine imo as is the silicone adbv. And the tapping plate is the superior design. Biggest complaint again is the fiber endcap seemingly not extending beyond the centertube around the full diameter.

Thanks for the pics.

The only thing I see that would concern me is that the seam for the ends of the media strip aren't sealed together much if at all on this one. Last one I opened had a metal piece over the seam.

Originally Posted By: k1rod
After seeing DirtRacers post showing a cut open Fram Tough Guard filter...
Showing some very uneven pleats.

The uneven pleats are just a result of the automated machine used to wrap the pleats around the core. (2:40-3:00 in video)
Fram orange can with black handgrip

Yes that is the reason for the uneven pleats but we have seen examples where that large spread has caused the media to fail. E-Core and Purolator Classic I believe they were. The spacing was wide enough to allow the pleat to fold down, the E-Core was blown through the center tube and the Classic ripped at the glue. Not a Fram only problem but one I would like to avoid if I can.

I also just realized the 3387 I linked to had the metal clip on the end seam of the media. Seems they have dropped that as well.

Originally Posted By: DirtRacer53

What did I start?
28.gif

Btw, was one side of the filter element longer than the other

I'm glad you started it. This filter is priced at $6.99 most places putting it in the marketing category of a "premium" filter. I think it's good for us to investigate whether it is or isn't.

Was one side of the element longer? Not significantly. I measured the length (height) of the filter element at 90 degree intervals. The measurements were 2.40" @ 0 deg, 2.38 @ 90 deg, 2.38" @ 180 deg, 2.39" @ 270 deg. Max variance was 0.02". Not too bad.

I was about ready to buy some TGs but now I'm second guessing them ...

In theory, they are fine. The fiber board does not really bother me the way it does some others. The ADBV is silicone; I like it. The can itself seems reasonable; I like that. The endplate seems well made. I like that.

But it seems like the quality control around the media and sub-structure suffers in reality.

A well designed product means nothing if manufacturing fails to produce what was the intent.

Last edited:
I think I'm exactly where you are 'dnewton". I think that this filter would have worked OK over a reasonable OCI, but that was just this particular filter. The sloppy looking QC standards applied to this filter make me seriously wonder if the next one I purchased would not be functional, much as the filter DirtRacer's is showing is not. You can not cut every filter open to see if the particular one you've got is good so that leaves you having to trust the manufacturer with the well being of our very expensive automobiles. From all I am seeing, Fram does not appear to merit that trust. JMHO.

What do you guys mean that filter is "fine"? Look at the third picture again. The center tube is off center. This is a place for oil to bypass. These should have the center tube fully covered by the end caps so that the center tube provides a solid support for the end pieces to seal against.

Ed

Originally Posted By: edhackett
What do you guys mean that filter is "fine"? Look at the third picture again. The center tube is off center. This is a place for oil to bypass. These should have the center tube fully covered by the end caps so that the center tube provides a solid support for the end pieces to seal against.

Ed

It should actually seal OK. You can see the ring impression on the end cap where the seal takes place. The ring located about 1/8~1/4" out from the center tube.

In the 2nd photo, is there a gap/hole through the media where the ends of the pleats attach to the end cap, or is that an optical illusion?

Overall, I don't like the construction of the FRAMs, except for the Ultra XG series.

I think I agree with you Z06 but it sure would be nice if they were a little more consistent. And I mean consistently like the element I posted, not either of the lates ones!

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: edhackett

Ed

In the 2nd photo, is there a gap/hole through the media where the ends of the pleats attach to the end cap, or is that an optical illusion?

It is an optical illusion. That is actually glue not air gap. I saw that too in the photo and went back to look at the actual element to veriify. For some reason the lighting on the glue was different in that area.

Originally Posted By: cp3
I think I agree with you Z06 but it sure would be nice if they were a little more consistent. And I mean consistently like the element I posted, not either of the lates ones!

Seriously.. It may work but why so sloppy? It looks like it was assembled by a couple of winos late on a Saturday night. Somebody mentioned that the uneven pleats were caused by the machine that rolls the media around the tube. I'm sure that's true. But I don't see it on filters like Wix, Mobil 1, RP, Baldwin, or Purolator and I am certain they all use machines for this process too. And the cardboard end caps being so off centered? If you look at both my photos and DirtRacer's photos, both of these filters are capped way off center. It's just sloppy, poor, I don't give a rip workmanship.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
It should actually seal OK. You can see the ring impression on the end cap where the seal takes place. The ring located about 1/8~1/4" out from the center tube.

It may be sealed now, but what happens when it softens with oil and maybe a bit of moisture affects the media? We've seen plenty of these cut open that show a "wave" in the media, shortening the element. That unsupported area will pull back from the end piece.

I know most people slag the Fram for a perceived issue with the bond of the end caps. I've never had an issue with that. It's the overall integrity of the system. I feel the same about the E-Core. As designed, they are likely fine, but both of these bottom end designs have shown a propensity for major function issues when faced with the realities of mass production. The conventional, metal end cap design seems to be more robust in the face of slightly out of spec manufacturing tolerances.

Ed

My comment is not meant to be FRAM-bashing, but could this recent apparent "cheapening" or loss of QC be in any way attributable to the FRAM/Champ merger? I also don't mean to imply that Champ is substandard in any way, just that the new owners may be trying to make up for their purchase costs by eliminating QC personnel, or by not doing proper maintenance on the production machinery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back