Dodge 4.7L oil suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drive a 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 4.7L engine. The manual recommends API certified 5w-20. I live in Tallahassee, FL. I fluctuate how hard I am on my truck. The most I tow is approx. 1000lbs. I live 5 miles from work so I have a short commute that is all city driving. About 2 times a month it gets a longer 15+ mile drive in.

What engine oil would you recommend and what kind of oil change intervals. I want to have this truck for as long as possible. It currently has 11,000 miles. I am trying to achieve a high mileage vehicle without having to pay big to have to oil changed.

Last edited:
Run the Chrysler spec 5w-20 viscosity . 5w-20 is a proven performer. The earlier 4.7L spec'd 5w-30 but Chrysler changed to a 20 weight in 2007 or so. I would run a quality conventional such as PYB , MS5k , QSGB , VWB or Kendall GT-1. In the 08+ models the 4.7L is a potent engine and will serve you well for a long time with proper maintenance and care.

Last edited:
i have a 2012 with the 5.7 and im using Amsoil OE and ford motorcraft fl820s filters. right now im changing at 5k mile intervals, but i will probably go with 7500mi intervals soon, because that's when the reminder goes off.

I wouldn't run anything less than a good synthetic due to the talk I hear from the dakota guys about the 4.7L. The gist is that they speak heavily on keeping the heads and valve-train clean with the SOHC design. Almost all rebuilds I have seen of a 4.7L include a high-volume oil pump for more oil delivery to the valve train.

That said, the guys that do run synthetic have a load of miles on their trucks, 200-400k and still driving.

Is it under warranty? Then change at intervals as per warranty.

How many miles per year?

Last edited:
Are you goi g to change the oil yourself or pay someone?

I would consider that severe duty since you never truly get the motor to full temp and tow and the fact that you have the smallest motor available n that truck. It may be vpbest to run a Dino at 4k with P1s and call it a day. 4k for the fuel dilution and P1s due to cost effectiveness.

Originally Posted By: Thax
I would run a quality conventional such as PYB , MS5k , QSGB , VWB or Kendall GT-1.

Sound advice. No need to run syn in this application. Personally, I've always liked SOPUS products. They have some great rebates from time to time as well.

Sounds like pretty low miles overall then, by the sounds of that, less than 5k a year. If that's the case, then any good conventional should be able to hold up to that kind of driving. Mobil 5000 is fairly cheap and is a solid performer, I feel like that'd be a good fit here. You could probably get away with changing the oil once a year by how this sounds. You have short trips, but you do throw in some highway driving to fully heat up the oil.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
Originally Posted By: Thax
I would run a quality conventional such as PYB , MS5k , QSGB , VWB or Kendall GT-1.

Sound advice. No need to run syn in this application. Personally, I've always liked SOPUS products. They have some great rebates from time to time as well.

i Agree a good dino is sufficient, but at pretty much 1 oil change a year at the rate he drives, $10-15 more and oil change for synthetic is still economical. walmart even has QSUD for 20$ for a 5 quart jug. that's 4$ more than all the dino oils. im voting for a synthetic. for an extra $10-15 or less, why not use a synthetic lube?

I have had the truck for a year and put 11,000 miles on it in that year. I had a few lengthy trips last year (approx 200 miles one way) but would expect to put about the same amount of miles on the truck again this year just to be on the safe side.

I have been changing the oil myself but wonder if I should have it done by a shop for warranty sake.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cody0707
I have had the truck for a year and put 11,000 miles on it in that year. I had a few lengthy trips last year (approx 200 miles one way) but would expect to put about the same amount of miles on the truck again this year just to be on the safe side.

I have been changing the oil myself but wonder if I should have it done by a shop for warranty sake.

I keep records with recipts,and pictures for all my oil changes. just document it well. and i still am going to recommend a synthetic. at 2 changes you could go 5500 each change even with the short trips. and the cost of synthetic is not much more than conventional nowdays. 10-15$ and oil change is worth it to me. but everyone has their own opinions.

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
I wouldn't run anything less than a good synthetic due to the talk I hear from the dakota guys about the 4.7L. The gist is that they speak heavily on keeping the heads and valve-train clean with the SOHC design. Almost all rebuilds I have seen of a 4.7L include a high-volume oil pump for more oil delivery to the valve train.

That said, the guys that do run synthetic have a load of miles on their trucks, 200-400k and still driving.

Is it under warranty? Then change at intervals as per warranty.

How many miles per year?

Most of the talk of the 4.7L being a sludge motor is controversial. Nearly all reports of sludge occurred in the early version of the 4.7 from 99-02 , mainly in leased durango's due to lack of proper oil change intervals. There were some early blocks with thin cylinder walls which led to increased combustion and oil temps which ruined some early 4.7L engines. The OP's 4.7L is well past this and there is no concerns with a modern 4.7L sludging with normal maintenance intervals. I have a 2000 Durango with a 4.7L and for good measure run PU at 5k oci for cheap insurance. The modern 4.7L is a very good engine that will perform and last with proper maintenance.

Seeing 11k miles a year as more of an average, makes me wonder if a synthetic like PP or M1 could be a good fit as well. Then you could extend the oil changes a little bit more. Or you could use PYB, MS5000, etc and change it twice a year. Either option I feel would work pretty well. What does the manual say for an OCI?

I have a 02 WJ with the old 4.7. I would just go to wally world, buy one of the 5 qt jugs of synthetic in 5w-20( any will do, get what is on sale, PEnz has 5$ coupons of did) and change it yourself twice a year, keep your receipts and a log book. This is about the lowest cost way of maintaining it with a good oil. YOu might be spending 20$ more per year vs dino, I can afford 20$.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back