PYB, 10W-30, 5,510mi. 1994 Mazda Miata

Status
Not open for further replies.
1994Miata_UOA_9_27_2012.jpg

It's been awhile since I've had a UOA done. This is my first time going back to a conventional oil (PYB). I have been running QSUD before.

I'm a bit concerned about the copper... TBN looks good for PYB.

Any thoughts?

I would not increase the OCI just yet. Stick to a 5k mile OCI for the sake of consistiency.

Monitor is the correct term here. Not time to panic. May be just a temporary.

Does the engine spec 10w30 ? Does it allow for 5W30 ?? You might try 5w30 it it allows for it and see if it brings that wear down for you.

What was you previous oil?
Looks like there are some additives remaining from the other oil???

If PYB 10W30 looks this good, we should all be using it!
smile.gif

Hi JGmazda,
The report looks good. The only thing I saw was that the vis took a hit dropping to 9.5 cSt. I have two Miatas (Gen 1 and 2) that have more than 180K miles on them. My first Miata (now gone) went 300K with no internal engine work. I target a vis of around 11 cSt or better. Several of us Miata owners, including some on this board, are using Rotella T6 5W-40 with good results.

Hello Everyone!

I want to thank you all for your advice. My car does indeed have 180K miles. I thought I'd give the new PYB (SN) a run and see how it performed.

Yeah... It's interesting to see the high Moly, Calcium and Zinc.
I think the PYB is a very nice oil. It certainly seems to have the additives.

I have used many oils over the years. Everything from Mobil to Maxlife. There's such a wide-range of viscosity specs for this engine. 10w-30 is what I usually run here in Phoenix. I have used 5w-30 in the cooler parts of the year.

These engines rev like crazy on the highway. I am hoping my next UOA will show a reduction in the Copper levels. I've been advised that I shouldn't worry too much as the new "SN" cleaning pack might be the reason.

I guess we shall find out on the next UOA! I appreciate all the comments!

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I would not increase the OCI just yet. Stick to a 5k mile OCI for the sake of consistiency.

Monitor is the correct term here. Not time to panic. May be just a temporary.

Thanks! Yes, it may just be a small spike related to the test. I'll see what the next UOA brings.

Thanks for the advice. Yes, this has been the best little car! These engines seem to be built for a least 300K miles. I've heard about the Rotella T6. It's interesting to see a higher cSt oil being used.

Have you noticed an improvement by going with the T6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back