Will AutoRX fix valve stem seal leak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcw

I have a 93 Tercel (83,000 miles) which gives a big puff of blue smoke in the morning. The smoke clear up after couple seconds, not smoke at idle/decel. It's probably a leaky valve stem seal. Burn 1 quart of oil every 600 miles.

Is AutoRX going to do any good on this engine? Or I should ask, is there any risk?

Auto-Rx used properly (per application instructions )will recondition valve stem seals as well as clean ring packs (just a few benefits)
Visit Auto-Rx web site

[ June 23, 2004, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: Frank ]

Go to www.auto-rx.com and follow the instructions for seal leak. I had a 1988 GMC Surburban that cured my leaky valve stem seals. These were a known problem. When I sold the Suburban to purchase a new truck, they were working fine, no more puffs of smoke on start-up.

cheers.gif

As I posted on/as another response, I performed an Auto-RX treatment on my '95 SL2 Saturn, with 338,950 miles on it using oil at 600 miles per quart. I'm now at 382,832 and using oil at 1,100 miles per quart (10w-40 Quarker State).

I'm still shocked ......

Finally, I finished the rinse phrase of the second ARX application but the morning blue puff is still there. What next?

quote:

Originally posted by tcw:
Finally, I finished the rinse phrase of the second ARX application but the morning blue puff is still there. What next?

move to a 10w40 of your choice.

quote:

Originally posted by tcw:
I have a 93 Tercel (83,000 miles) which gives a big puff of blue smoke in the morning. The smoke clear up after couple seconds, not smoke at idle/decel. It's probably a leaky valve stem seal. Burn 1 quart of oil every 600 miles.

Is AutoRX going to do any good on this engine? Or I should ask, is there any risk?

You seem to have exactly the same problem I have. I also have a '93 Tercel, only mine has 125K miles on it. When I bought the car in '02 it had 89K miles. It used a little oil when I bought it, but it's gotten noticeably worse within the last 6 months. When I first bought the car, it would use about 1/4 of a quart per tank of gas and it appeared to only puff out smoke during cold starts (which is also an indication of vavle stem seal leakage). Now it uses between 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart per tank full. I am currently at the 1500 mile mark of the first cleansing cycle using Auto RX and there hasn't been any change in consumption. I still have to do two rinse cycles and another cleansing cycle, so the ARX process is still a long ways from being completed. I'm starting to get the feeling that my problem is due to some kind of mechanical wear that can't be resolved by using ARX, but I fully intend to complete the process before coming to any final conclusions. I'm also getting the feeling that the 1.5 liter engines Toyota put in these Tercels aren't built quite as well as some of their other engines that will typically go 200K miles or more without any oil consumption problems. Even if the ARX doesn't cure the problem, I intend to continue driving this car until the problem gets so bad that I'm either having to change the spark plugs once a month, or I can't drive around the block without having to stop to add oil. As it is right now, the engine runs fine and still has plenty of power and I see no reason to stop driving it. It's still very reliable.

Auto rx is a fine product and works very well. It is just not able to replace the valve seals for you.

If your valve seals are damaged at all they will need replaced if you want the problem fixed.

I am an autorx customer and will use it again except in the future I will not expect the product to repair valve seals that are worn out.

quote:

Originally posted by vicmackey:
Auto rx is a fine product and works very well. It is just not able to replace the valve seals for you.

If your valve seals are damaged at all they will need replaced if you want the problem fixed.

I am an autorx customer and will use it again except in the future I will not expect the product to repair valve seals that are worn out.

I don't think anyone here is saying ARX isn't a good product or that it doesn't do what its intended to do. I decided to use it because I have an oil consumption problem and I don't know what's causing it and I'm hoping it's just something minor that ARX can cure. I don't think anyone in this forum would expect ARX to cure a problem caused by engine parts that are worn or damaged. I'm hoping my problem is something like gummed up oil rings or seals that simply need re-juvinating. I certainly don't expect ARX to cure a worn out engine.

valve stem seal life is a function of manuf. using the "right stuff" in seal design, effective head water jacket cooling design around the valve stems, especially around the exhaust valve. with the high overlap overhead cam/valve designs being run now for immproved air/fuel turbulence mixing, the exhaust vavle is not closed sufficiently long to adaquately cool the valve stem and seal. also inadequate oil flow around vavle stem for additional cooling.
hot seal, hardens and decomposes, short life, leaks oil on valve overlap intake stroke.
improved cup type seals were an improvement for Chev. V8's instead of the cheap OEM rubber bands on stems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back