Lexus GS300 or GS400?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can either be had with an MT? That would be the choice that is preferable to me. While a GS400 MT would be awesom, I doubt that this is available. And either car should be plenty fast and powerful.

Of course the 300 will do better on fuel, which is likely a consideration.

sc300 with a 2jz and 5spd
whistle.gif

I'd go with the GS300. But I'm bias. I love to 2JZ engine. The 1UZ/2UZ is nice too, but 2JZ is my favorite. The GS did not have a manual option. the IS and the SC did. My SC is a 5 speed and it was hard to find. People do complain on the clublexus and lexusownersclub about the gas mileage on the 400/430 but it does have more power.

There are some very common issues with the GS. Make sure that waterpump/timing belt has been done and see that suspension bushings have been replaced. If not, you'll be replacing them.

Personally, I would go for the GS300. Not saying the 1UZ-FE is a bad engine, it's done great in the LS400 and I love those cars. But the 2JZ-GE is one of my favorite engines.

Originally Posted By: Brenden
whistle.gif

that wasn't one of the choices...
smile.gif

just looking for a RWD 4dr auto daily driver.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
whistle.gif

smile.gif

CV or GM or TC

next question...

Originally Posted By: Stanley Rockafeller
Originally Posted By: mpvue
whistle.gif

smile.gif

CV or GM or TC

next question...

do you mean crown victoria and grand marquis? I'm not old enough for either of those (but a CVPI might be considered...)
TC? town car? seriously?

Originally Posted By: Stanley Rockafeller
If you want RWD, 4 door and auto, that's the best choices out there, mainly for thier low purchase price, and bullit proof reliability!

You list the pros and none of the cons. They don't handle well and they're rather inefficient with interior space. Large car on the outside, not all that large on the inside. Yes they are cheap, and yes they are reliable. But some want more in a vehicle than that.

A co-worker has an older GS400. I wouldn't say it's held up all that well, though to be fair, I don't think he spends ANY money keeping it up. I've ridden in it; it didn't feel all that refined to me (exhaust rumble, but it may be broken exhaust). Then again, a friend's BMW X5 was the same way...way too much NVH in the cabin. Maybe that's just how they are.

I'd look at a GS300 myself. That inline six is a peach and it'll have smaller wheels/tires for lower cost of ownership overall. I think the GS300s probably ride better than the 400s as well (due to different spring/damper tuning).

For perspective, we recently bought the wife an '02 GS300, 62k miles, $14k dealer, and myself an '06 LS430 UL, 71k miles, $24k dealer. I've driven the wife's car a fair bit in addition to my own.

To your question, I would choose the GS300. The V8 isn't all *that* much more powerful (225 vs. 300). The 6 makes plenty of power for this car, has a charming personality, is silky smooth, sounds great, leaves lots of room in the engine compartment for working on it, etc.

Yes, the GS400 makes more power. But you're not buying this to be a hotrod, are you? If so, wrong car.

You'll also find probably 20 GS300s for sale for every GS400. Since condition is everything in a car of this age, I would much rather have the larger pool of candidates to choose from.

The GS300 is a wonderful car. You will be pleased.

Originally Posted By: Gannet

To your question, I would choose the GS300. The V8 isn't all *that* much more powerful (225 vs. 300). The 6 makes plenty of power for this car, has a charming personality, is silky smooth, sounds great, leaves lots of room in the engine compartment for working on it, etc.

Yes, the GS400 makes more power. But you're not buying this to be a hotrod, are you? If so, wrong car.

You'll also find probably 20 GS300s for sale for every GS400. Since condition is everything in a car of this age, I would much rather have the larger pool of candidates to choose from.

The GS300 is a wonderful car. You will be pleased.

thanks, that's kind of my thoughts also.
what's got me thinking of a GS is 2 things; I drove one once years ago when my SIL had one, and I thought it was nice, and 2, I've been impressed with the POS camry I've been driving! I really appreciate the thoughtful engineering on this car and figured the replacement would be another toyota, so why not look for a higher end toyota?

this would be a daily driver, highway commuter, 60mi a day. for that kind of driving, I want to be comfortable, I want it reliable and I want an auto (our family car, the mazda5, is a stick, which is fine because I'm not sitting in traffic with it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back