Brake Fluid Tester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neato tool, if you try to sell a lot of brake flushes.

For the cost of that tool, you can buy an awful lot of brake fluid. Being cheap, I would try a DVOM, set to the highest resistance range, start with a measured amount of clean brake fluid, check resistance, add 2% H2O, measure resistance and use that as a baseline as a good/bad baseline.

Performance Tool sells an electronic brake fluid tester for around $20.00 There are 3 LEDs that tell you the concentration of water.My 25 year old car had supposibly 5% water.I find that hard to believe,should be more like 10-20% with the age.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Performance Tool sells an electronic brake fluid tester for around $20.00 There are 3 LEDs that tell you the concentration of water.My 25 year old car had supposibly 5% water.I find that hard to believe,should be more like 10-20% with the age.

I was thinking the same thing with the water content (how could it only be that low. I guess anything on the high side needs to be flushed.

I'm not a mechanic, just a DIYer. I can get that tool at Princess Auto for $20. I might pick one to keep tabs on my brake fluid. Now I've been flushing it every two years.

Regards, JC.

Originally Posted By: JC1

I was thinking the same thing with the water content (how could it only be that low. I guess anything on the high side needs to be flushed.

I'm not a mechanic, just a DIYer. I can get that tool at Princess Auto for $20. I might pick one to keep tabs on my brake fluid. Now I've been flushing it every two years.

Regards, JC.

If you're flushing your brake every 2-3 years, no need to buy this tool. If you want to extend your brake flush to 5-6 years or beyond then you may like to have this tool to check for water content.

I think this tool is good for garage, the mechanic can show customers the need for new brake fluid quickly. Many cars, BMW or MB or Audi ..., I saw at the garage have original brake fluid after 8-10 years or longer. Those cars need to have brake fluid flush, but those drivers don't like to pay for something that they think didn't broke.

Hello all,

I also was going to purchase a brake fluid tester for $25.00
Then I saw a (brake fluid) Refractometer for $85.00

I like the theory of how Refractometers work, and there is nothing to wear out.

I have one for checking coolant.
Very accurate. (bought on E-Bay)

I take good care of my vehicle but try to do the most with the least (tools and supplies).

I did not purchase any 'moisture' tester.
$25.00 - $85.00 can buy alot of brake fluid.

Years ago I never changed brake fluid.
Now I want to begin:
* Every 2 years - Total Flush (using pressure bleeder)
* Every 1 year - Gravity bleed 3 Oz out of each bleeder screw
* Every 6 months - Turkey bastor reservoir

I know this is over-kill.
Very easy to do and the fluid is cheap.
And no need to own a moisture gauge.
(what more could I do anyway)

Larry

Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
Hello all,

I also was going to purchase a brake fluid tester for $25.00
Then I saw a (brake fluid) Refractometer for $85.00

I like the theory of how Refractometers work, and there is nothing to wear out.

I have one for checking coolant.
Very accurate. (bought on E-Bay)

I take good care of my vehicle but try to do the most with the least (tools and supplies).

I did not purchase any 'moisture' tester.
$25.00 - $85.00 can buy alot of brake fluid.

Years ago I never changed brake fluid.
Now I want to begin:
* Every 2 years - Total Flush (using pressure bleeder)
* Every 1 year - Gravity bleed 3 Oz out of each bleeder screw
* Every 6 months - Turkey bastor reservoir

I know this is over-kill.
Very easy to do and the fluid is cheap.
And no need to own a moisture gauge.
(what more could I do anyway)

Larry

Flush every 2 years is more than enough, no need to do gravity bleed every year turkey baster every 6 months.

Also keep in mind that brake fluid will remove paint, so if it drips onto any painted surface it must be removed quickly. I make sure I get the garden hose ready if need be.

I agree I wouldn't bother with the turkey baster method. I use the motive brake bleeder and it gets the fluid nice and clean when it's flushed.

Regards, JC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back