Valvoline NextGen Q&A Answers posted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: volk06
Originally Posted By: G-MAN
I'm surprised no one asked if the base oil derived from the recycled motor oil is Group II or Group I.
33.gif

Tried asking what group oils they use and they beat around the bush and couldn't revealed that info.

Just like XOM with their M1 product.
Based upon the Nextgen oils' API spec, it is a Grp II.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: volk06
Originally Posted By: G-MAN
I'm surprised no one asked if the base oil derived from the recycled motor oil is Group II or Group I.
33.gif

Tried asking what group oils they use and they beat around the bush and couldn't revealed that info.

Just like XOM with their M1 product.
Based upon the Nextgen oils' API spec, it is a Grp II.

Question. Just because it's API SN, how does that mean its a groupII?

Based off some reading I did some time ago, I don't think that a group I base oil could be used to meet API SN.

With that said, the original basestock could have been group I before it was re-refined by valvoline (or whoever re-refines it if not done by valvoline), but I don't think they use any group I in the final nextgen product.

Hopefully someone will step in and correct me if I am wrong, merely my opinion based off light reading.

Originally Posted By: sxg6
Hopefully someone will step in and correct me if I am wrong, merely my opinion based off light reading.

No, I was confused, too, but that clarified it. With your mention of M1, I was thinking you meant that API SN implied it couldn't be Group III or IV or V or something like that.
wink.gif

Quote:
The re-refined base oils that are used in Valvoline NextGen products are sourced from our strategic suppliers, who acquire their used oils from varieties of sources.

This blanket statement was used a lot in the answers to different questions.
Guess they don't want to say, can't understand why they don't just say so.
Mumbo Jumbo IMHO.

i send an email to valvoline but i didnt get an answer..
is this oil a Griv PAO?
http://www.valvolineeurope.com/english/products/engine_oils/synpower/cid(805)/synpower_5w-40/product-information?category=cars

I appreciated the Q&A.

I did find it interesting that they claimed MaxLife & NextGen MaxLife were formulated exactly the same.

However, the PDS do show slight differences in viscosity and flash points, etc. between the two.

Originally Posted By: Ayrton
I did find it interesting that they claimed MaxLife & NextGen MaxLife were formulated exactly the same.

However, the PDS do show slight differences in viscosity and flash points, etc. between the two.

The way I was reading their answers, they were saying that the additive packages were the same. But we know that MaxLife still has a higher TBN and slightly higher viscosity.

Oddly enough Valvoline oils are for sale in Germany, although they are not as popular as Mobil, who are in 3rd place behind Liqui Moly and Castrol. Castrol was in 1st place a few years back, but their top quality oils are too expensive in comparison with LM.
Germany is of some interest as regards better quality engine oils because of the adherence to the manufacturers long recommended or maximum limit OCI's in combination with some drivers using the autobahn system in the early hours that use what is max continous power for hours on end.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: Provi
Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
"While Valvoline’s formulations are a trade secret Valvoline has at its disposal, Group III, Group III+, Group IV (PAO) and various Group V base oils and we use these as appropriate to meet our high standards."

So is VWB a group III base stock since they don't mention anything about group II a group II+. Wouldn't that put VWB at a higher quality level than even PYB with it's group II+ base stock?

I can't provide my source but there may or may not be truth to this statement
wink.gif

I'm having a hard time believing that the lowest base stock that Valvoline uses is Group III. If so, why don't they label all of their oils synthetic?

Which group 3 terminolgy are you using? If you use the German system G3 means it is an HC synthetic or synthetic technology oil in German and they label HC oils as fully synthetic in the US or UK. If you use the US four group system then a G3 is a part synthetic or blend. There should be an international standard but thanks to Castrol and their US marketing lawyers it is not going to be the more definitive German system. I look up US or UK oils on German Fleabay or dot de web sites just to find out what they really are in synthetic terms.
If an oil is an HC one it can be very good or not so very, as some mid East rubbish has recently turned up on Fleabay that was tested and found to be slightly out of spec and lacking in additives even though it was an HC oil. The main reason it was out of SAE spec was basestock related (It would have evapourated rather too fast as it was intended for Russian trucks as a winter oil). The major brands produce good HC oils but not some of the other HC producers, so I regard oil quality rather than actual group label as very important.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyship
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: Provi
Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
"While Valvoline’s formulations are a trade secret Valvoline has at its disposal, Group III, Group III+, Group IV (PAO) and various Group V base oils and we use these as appropriate to meet our high standards."

So is VWB a group III base stock since they don't mention anything about group II a group II+. Wouldn't that put VWB at a higher quality level than even PYB with it's group II+ base stock?

I can't provide my source but there may or may not be truth to this statement
wink.gif

I'm having a hard time believing that the lowest base stock that Valvoline uses is Group III. If so, why don't they label all of their oils synthetic?

Which group 3 terminolgy are you using? If you use the German system G3 means it is an HC synthetic or synthetic technology oil in German and they
label HC oils as fully synthetic in the US or UK. If you use the US four group system then a G3 is a part synthetic or blend. There should be an international standard but thanks to Castrol and their US marketing lawyers it is not going to be the more definitive German system. I look up US or UK oils on German Fleabay or dot de web sites just to find out what they really are in synthetic terms.
If an oil is an HC one it can be very good or not so very, as some mid East rubbish has recently turned up on Fleabay that was tested and found to be slightly out of spec and lacking in additives even though it was an HC oil. The
main reason it was out of SAE spec was basestock related (It would have evapourated rather too fast as it was intended for Russian trucks as a winter oil). The major brands produce good HC oils but not some of the other HC producers, so I regard oil quality rather than actual group label as very important.

Really? What brand or label was this inferior oil. Was it stamped approved or does it state meets or exceeds? Who bottled it?Was it available in NA or only in Russia? Where exactly do you get this info or is it some kind of cloak and dagger type stuff?
I've been a member here for a couple of years now and I have to say that you have brought to light some pretty interesting info. From oil filters made from unobtanium and only made for Volvo,or talking with oil filter lawyers,you must really get around in that plane.

That link was posted on this forum. It was a Suadi oil brand that was initially sold to there for use in cars, but then turned up on E bay in Germany. Some chap sent it for a VOA and it appeared to be some kind of truck oil designed for use in winter. It was listed as a 5/40 but was in fact about a 15/40 and had a weird readings that would have resulted in high losses due to evaporation when hot.
The chaps selling it for cars in a hot country had a great business plan because it was good enough not to have damaged an engine for a few years, BUT would have resulted in the need for frequent top ups, so they would have sold even more.
These scams go on all the time, rather like the funny Heinze ketchup factory explosion in the press recently that revealed an illegal bottling plant producing perfect look alike tom sauce using red dye, flour and sugar. They forgot to cook it properly and the bottles burst in storage. You don't need to cook oil to stop the bottles going bang, so it is just a label copying game.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
my only nexgen question has always been why isnt it cheaper?

The was already answered in the QA session. Base stocks, recycled or virgin, have the same value on the market, and Valvoline has to buy its recycled base stock from suppliers.

This question sounds like "Since Saudi crude oil has one of the lowest production costs, why I can't buy gasoline made from Saudi crude oil at a cheaper price than gasoline made from Canadian or US produced crude oil". Or "Why isn't Mexican-built Volkswagen cheaper than German-built?" The answer is that if the end products are the same, the market will set the same price on it. The other answer is that the companies probably don't want to cheapen the image of Mexican-built VW or motor oil made from recycled oil.

Last edited:
As NextGen products are clearly the most environmentally-friendly, superior in formulation and in their performance, when will Valvoline be switching over all their blended PCMO products completely to Nextgen and Recycled oils?

Originally Posted By: Zako2
Originally Posted By: edwardh1
my only nexgen question has always been why isnt it cheaper?

The was already answered in the QA session. Base stocks, recycled or virgin, have the same value on the market, and Valvoline has to buy its recycled base stock from suppliers.

This question sounds like "Since Saudi crude oil has one of the lowest production costs, why I can't buy gasoline made from Saudi crude oil at a cheaper price than gasoline made from Canadian or US produced crude oil". Or "Why isn't Mexican-built Volkswagen cheaper than German-built?" The answer is that if the end products are the same, the market will set the same price on it. The other answer is that the companies probably don't want to cheapen the image of Mexican-built VW or motor oil made from recycled oil.

It is a good thing that they are making the nexgen stuff but it seams like the only perk to using it is the warm fuzzy you get knowing that you are using a recycled product. If the stocks are the same and cost the same then there isn't any point other than the environmental thing. I have read some here that the additive packages might be a little different but the average consumer isn't going to know that and might not care. I would hate to see a good product like this fail because there is no perceivable advantage to it other than the environmental thing.

A lot of people are set in their ways when it comes to the products they use. I don't see a product like this changing a lot of minds if there is no price difference or something different about it that people can understand and rally behind.

That is just my two cents.

I have always used Valvoline or Napa oils. I think they make a very good product and I will continue to buy it. When my current stock of conventional oil is up I will probably use the nexgen. If they make a synthetic nexgen I would definitely use that. All of that is conditional on the Napa oil being on sale and how many years worth of stock of it I have.

(I lied about only using Valvoline. I passed up buying nexgen high mileage for ac delco semi syn. I wanted a semi syn to use for the first oil change in my wife's new traverse. After that it is getting an Ashland product.)

I hope I don't cause to much trouble on my first post.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig

I have always used Valvoline or Napa oils. I think they make a very good product and I will continue to buy it. When my current stock of conventional oil is up I will probably use the nexgen. If they make a synthetic nexgen I would definitely use that. All of that is conditional on the Napa oil being on sale and how many years worth of stock of it I have.

And . . . I was just going through the coupon booklet AAP sent me in the mail this month, and there is a coupon for $20 NextGen Full Synthetic with K&N filter.

Sure enough, Valvoline does imply on their website that the 5W-20 and 5W-30 are indeed available in "full synthetic" : http://www.valvoline.com/products/consumer-products/motor-oil/full-synthetic-motor-oil/138

Originally Posted By: kalloggs40
does anybody know if NEXT GEN 15W-40 is a semi synthetic or mineral oil? some websites say mineral some say semi, anyone clarify? thanks

Not NextGen 15W-40 on their site. 10W-40 is listed in HM and conventional varieties. Looks like the only 15W-40s they sell are Premium Blue & All-Fleet Plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back