Broken chain

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Was riding Wisashickon park, which has a ton of rocks and pretty steep terrain.

Was in a rock garden going up and felt a flex then a pop. Chain broke.

It was the original shimano. Admittedly, I hadn't cleaned the red dusty dirt from it from a prior long ride in six-mile park in NJ a couple of weeks back.

6BF4AF49-1DA9-45B8-9A1E-D2E89789D210-92-00000002A5196D2C_zps797d1b80.jpg

C07E28AD-B0C5-4B89-8130-B2BB734C52CD-92-00000002CCC72F9A_zps0371c707.jpg

8209E198-E751-4D5B-9892-9C5A7E7416FC-92-00000002D8514F6A_zpscfa67ea7.jpg

F0AFE87E-EFC9-432B-B1BD-F47463AE1714-92-00000003022CE740_zpsc3bb7aca.jpg

Sorry, photobucket kills the resolution of the pictures.

So, should I replace with a shimano chain or another brand? My bike is all shimano.

And, what do I need to do to get a chain where I can remove the link easily to service?

Thanks!

No rust, that was the red dust from last ride. Chain was waxy coated.

Take a second look at the chain. Is it a lube failure (excessive wear) or a bulk fracture failure? I can't tell from the pictures, but I don't see any wear failure. A push-pull on the chain length can give you an idea of how much it is worn.

If there is excessive wear, you can blame the lube regimen. If it's bulk fracture, you can blame either the chain quality, corrosion, impact loading, or any combination of the three.

The bent side plates on the chain in one pic make me think it was a "shifting under too much load" failure. The chain broke at a pin, but the chain looks mangled. I seriously doubt lubrication had anything to do with it.

As far as replacements, I'd just buck up and get a DA/XTR chain, CN-7701. Check Ebay, you can normally find them cheaper than wholesale. Shimano and KMC chains shift better than anything else out there, regardless of what components you're using. Pretty much every SRAM-sponsored rider I know uses them, if that gives you any indication.

For a quick link, the Connex link is hands-down the best one out there. You can re-use them for 2-3 chains depending on how long you run them. Since their chains are made in Germany, I'd love to recommend them, but they shift poorly and they're the only chain I've ever broken...at the side plate....twice! Not a fan. The DA/XTR is the best in the business, IMO.

I have shimano components, but SRAM chain. I use the little quick connect link so it's easy to clean.

I got 2 chains off Ebay. One for my road and one for my mtn bike.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JOD

the bent side plates on the chain in one pic make me think it was a "shifting under too much load" failure. The chain broke at a pin, but the chain looks mangled. I seriously doubt lubrication had anything to do with it.

That is exactly what happened. Was trying to get uphill on some really jagged rocks, needed to shift down a gear to keep momentum, and pop. It was indeed during a shift.

And Im a bigger guy that is pretty strong (college athlete, strong legs from rowing) so I was on it kind of hard...

My bike shifts like butter even under load, which is really great, but I guess I just pushed it a bit too hard...

Originally Posted By: JOD

As far as replacements, I'd just buck up and get a DA/XTR chain, CN-7701. Check Ebay, you can normally find them cheaper than wholesale. Shimano and KMC chains shift better than anything else out there, regardless of what components you're using. Pretty much every SRAM-sponsored rider I know uses them, if that gives you any indication.

For a quick link, the Connex link is hands-down the best one out there. You can re-use them for 2-3 chains depending on how long you run them. Since their chains are made in Germany, I'd love to recommend them, but they shift poorly and they're the only chain I've ever broken...at the side plate....twice! Not a fan. The DA/XTR is the best in the business, IMO.

Im taking my bike to the store for a general (free) tuneup while Im at it...

So I want to ask for the DA/XTR chain with a Connex link in it?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Im taking my bike to the store for a general (free) tuneup while Im at it...

So I want to ask for the DA/XTR chain with a Connex link in it?

Yep, that would be my recommendation. Supporting your local shop is always good! You'll probably want to pick up a small chain tool while you're there (I'm guessing you had to walk that one out of the woods?). Even if you need to dramatically shorten the chain, at least you can pedal out, which is nice.

Yeah I had to walk 4 miles or so.

Amazon prime had the xtr for $36, I paid $54 but they are installing it fwiw.

They only had the SRAM link, but I'm looking on amazon at the waterman links. Is there a specific one I want, or will any 9sp link work? I assume SS is what I want?

I bought a park tool chain tool bc they are us made. I figure as you said, then I can run a shorter chain to get back.

But what about this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001GSMKOO/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

My understanding is that with a connex or equivalent, you need another tool to open that versus a standard chain link.

But can that one do both?

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Yeah I had to walk 4 miles or so.

Amazon prime had the xtr for $36, I paid $54 but they are installing it fwiw.

They only had the SRAM link, but I'm looking on amazon at the waterman links. Is there a specific one I want, or will any 9sp link work? I assume SS is what I want?

I bought a park tool chain tool bc they are us made. I figure as you said, then I can run a shorter chain to get back.

But what about this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001GSMKOO/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

My understanding is that with a connex or equivalent, you need another tool to open that versus a standard chain link.

But can that one do both?

Thanks!

For 9 speed, there's just one Connex link, so the one with the tool will work. That tool will be all you need, both to install the Connex link and to open/repair any chain. To install the link you basically have two female ends, you just remove the side plates with the pin. The Connex actually has 2 side plates and 2 link pins.

The last mountain bike ride I did last week I snapped a chain pulling the exact same move. It happens. When you consider how much load is on a chain under full power (about 80 ft-lb) it's surprising it doesn't happen more often! Being able to piece it back together and pedal back out is definitely key.

It does happen.

I got lucky when mine broke and another rider came upon me with a chain breaker. You push pin out nearly all the way and shorten chain by one length and put back on. I carry that tool, spare tube/tires stays and tiny pump always.

Get a chain breaker to avoid 4 mile walks and enjoy rest of ride
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back