How many of you test gas for ethanol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OilNerd
Here, ethanol over 1% requires a pump label. Gasoline without ethanol is no longer available in my area.

I don't test the blend percentage.

Same way here in NC.

So, at least for the 1 tank with 'supposedly' no ethanol last week I noticed no change. So, nothing definitive to contribute here.

Did not go to pure gas website, but I can tell you that my local Kroger gas station does not use ethanol in their 87 gas. Now, the higher grades seem to have some. Just loaded the 'Max with 87 octane, and, let me tell you, I got a 4 mpg improvement over Shell. The 4 mpg improvement was the average of 3 tanks of fuel.

Originally Posted By: Brigadier
I used pure-gas.org to find an ethanol free gas station near me. The nearest one is 17 miles away. So on Saturday mornings, early, I load 4 each 5 gallon cans in my truck, drive there, fill up the cans and my truck with it. I have been doing it for 4 tankfuls now. The difference is astounding. The truck runs smoother at idle, has much better low end torque and throttle response, and my mileage has increased approx 3mpg in normal driving conditions.

I take the extra cans for mid week fillups.

Oh, and my lawn mower really loves the stuff. It too runs much smoother.

I told the CFO of our company about this, and he took his 530i to the same station and filled up. Within 100 miles, his MPG computer display was showing a 10% increase in MPG. He is sold.

I had an 8% increase in mileage, but the nearest station is 58 miles away, AND it costs more than premium. Cost/mpg increase isn't worth it for me, might be for the car....

Oh, and I tested it before filling the first time. Ran 3 tanks to confirm/deny the difference.

Last edited:
I got no performance gains using 'supposed' ethanol free the other day, I didn't test it so TBD there, will try again someday soon.

i have been doing a non-alcohol test. i just posted a Q about how long should a test be. 4 fills with, 4 fills without. without .3 mpg better.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
I got no performance gains using 'supposed' ethanol free the other day, I didn't test it so TBD there, will try again someday soon.
You really gotta take an average, across multiple tanks.......since even at "E" you still have say, 1-4 gallons in your tank......at least, that is how my car works (88 Dodge Aries) :p

When I hit "E" and fill it, I typically fill 10 gallons......which gives me a 4 gallon "reserve".....now the most I ever pumped I believe was about 13.845 gallons.....kind of a scary thought HAHA.....lucky I don't got any mountains or steep terrain in my area, that would slosh the fuel away from the sender :p

^Good reminders. You're right on, also I'm sure this slower 20 year old computer could use some time to re-adjust. Almost makes me wish I'd have ethanol-free gas local enough to try it for a month at least.

FYI, when I started the thread, I meant testing the up to 10% gasoline if it actually has any alcohol in it.

Not that there is anything wrong with off topic stuff, but wanted to clarify.

Update:
I'm starting a gas additive study part 2 and got 87 octane gas from Chevron and Shell. Both tested positive for ethanol by my method, somewhere in the 6% range.
I need to retest BP as it tested negative before.
I'll keep you posted.

LOL, I bought some BP gas and repeated the test.

I took 10mL of water:

DSCN3756.jpg

and poured 90mL of gasoline. Initially it didn't mix:

DSCN3758.jpg

Then I agitated it:

DSCN3761.jpg

and now we have 19mL of water+alcohol:

DSCN3759.jpg

Thus, BP 87 had 10% ethanol. Worse, than Chevron or Shell.

Now that is cool. I wonder if week in, week out you'd get consistent results from the same stations.

Do that same test with E0 and the water instantly falls to the bottom. Tested at one station before buying and it was indeed E0!
Wish the station wasn't 58 miles away.....

The memories come flooding back...Your pic's look just like the fuel contamination checks we did on the helicopter flightline, only we used 1 qt. mason jars. Did a check at every preflight and at every refuel. Works like a champ, nothing like the visual of water/ethanol at the bottom to show you where your money goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back