Can you preserve opened brake fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decided to change my brake fluid this morning as well (did the trans last night), but only used part of the big bottle I bought.

I immediately put tin foil over the top (several layers) as soon as I was done and then replaced the cap and put tin foil over it.

Will this help from moisture getting in?

I'd get the foil out from under the cap. It might have a better seal without interference, some rubbery or papery stuff in there.

how much did it cost?

regardless since its open its good for about a year usually then toss it.

I would keep it for a while, but when it starts to get all old and dust covered it's time to just replace with new.
I always just buy small bottles even if they are a bit more, because you tend to only use one small bottle at a time when doing a brake system repair like a caliper replacement, etc.

Ha, yes. I bought this for around $8, it's the Valvoline stuff. I just hate wasting stuff, and my manual says to not keep open brake fluid because of moisture.

The cap went on pretty tight and I was able to screw it on over the tin foil. Hopefully it keeps well?

Honestly, how often does one "top off" the brake fluid? I know I don't.....I change it, when I change my brakes, and that's it.....I never need to top it off....I'd say just dispose of it......no point trying to save a couple bucks....it'll likely be contaminated by the next time you need it (2+ years? unless you do a lot of driving and change the fluid a lot....)

If you can get parafilm, that might work OK. But to save it, id want it saved in a dessicator or a very dry, cold environment.

I'd imagine the seal at the cap is just as good as the seal on the reservoir. Heck, my reservoir just has a rubber boot of a cap instead of a screw on.

This is why I prefer to buy several small bottles for a buck or two more. The big bottles are fine if you're doing two cars at once.

I wouldn't mess with the foil - just screw the cap down gorilla tight. If you're really OCD, maybe teflon tape on the cap threads and store in a dry area such as a dehumidified basement.

Originally Posted By: cutter
I'd imagine the seal at the cap is just as good as the seal on the reservoir. Heck, my reservoir just has a rubber boot of a cap instead of a screw on.

I agree.

Many 10+ year old vehicles have original brake fluid without problem. Brake fluid in an opened container with the cap tighten well and stored in a cool dry place should be able to use after 3-4 years.

I was just considering buying the smaller valvoline brake fluid when I noticed it was roughly half the price, it didn't look like half the volume though so it's likely more per fluid ounce. Probably worth the peace of mind.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
If you can get parafilm, that might work OK. But to save it, id want it saved in a dessicator or a very dry, cold environment.

^^^This is what I do with my leftover RBF 600, and even with brand new, unopened bottles.
I put them in doubled-up ziplock bags, with a BIG bag of that car interior dessicant which Griot's used to sell.

We have to have water or moisture directly present for the brake fluid to absorb any.
One little trick is to squish the bottle or can so there is less air [with potential moisture] in it before replacing the cap.

Brake fluid is not a black hole voraciously sucking water.
It is not the IRS for water.
It is not a puppy at the food bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back