What do degrease a chain with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally ran out of bike chain cleaner, and I am thinking that I might be able to just use something that I already keep around the house instead of buying something just for this. Got any suggestions? I imagine that any degreaser might work, but I'm thinking that maybe something like laundry or dish detergent might not be what I want to use, but something like automatic transmission fluid, or some other cleaner I already have might work. Any ideas?

This household cleaner is available at Dollar Tree and I usually keep a lot of it around, and might want to try:
12454_M.jpg

Or just get a gallon jug of a degreaser, and at least I can use that for other things. I just don't want to keep a separate bottle of bike chain degreaser if I don't have to.

Last edited:
I've used WD-40 before - it works well if you're using a rag as well. If you're soaking it's obviously not optimal due since it comes in an aerosol can.

Are you doing it on the bike or off the bike? If you're doing it on the bike, brake cleaner with a spray nozzle works well. It doesn't react with the parts, too (like derailleur pulleys).

I always use one of the Wipperman Connex links and remove the chain. I toss it in a Gatorade bottle with mineral spirits and shake it. Diesel fuel works great, too, and it's cheaper. I'd go with that, except that I normally have mineral spirits on-hand.

Same for me--paint thinner (mineral spirits) in a plastic juice container, then hang in the sun. Last couple of times I would let the fluid sit for several days, and the junk would fall to the bottom. Then I can dump the now-clear paint thinner into a new container, and toss the dirty juice container.

I tried Simple Green, and found it completely worthless.

Originally Posted By: NateDN10
I've used WD-40 before - it works well if you're using a rag as well. If you're soaking it's obviously not optimal due since it comes in an aerosol can.

Lots of places wil sell you WD 40 in a gallon can. The price is not bad because you are not paying for the spray can. DRop the entire chain right in. I give the whole soak treatment to firearms.

I have a little machine that has scrubbers in it to clean and degrease the chain. I use an aqueous-based degreaser, then dry the chain with a towel and heat gun, and then re-lube.

I suppose I should really get a chain I could remove and just rinse it and then drop it in a can of diesel or something... new thread time!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I suppose I should really get a chain I could remove and just rinse it and then drop it in a can of diesel or something... new thread time!

Connex Link

They're expensive (the 10 speed links are even more expensive), but worth it. You could always get a Wipperman chain, but in my experience they shift like garbage compared to Shimano chains. I typically re-use that link for 3 chains. After about 10K miles though, they'll start to skip. I've used every quick link out there, and this is by far the easiest to use. I also used to use the chain scrubbers. Mostly, they seems to clean a little, and move the dirt around a little... Maybe in a drier environment they work OK, but out here removing the chain for cleaning is the only way to go.

I use FP-10 gun oil for lube and clean. Put a heavy drop or 2 on each link and then spin the chain backwards through a rag. Works great and no need for rust causing water based products.

I use a chain cleaner tool, so I would be looking for use something that I would pour into it. Specifically it's a vintage 1990 Vetta chain cleaner, and it looks a lot like this:

p5747356reg.jpg

I am not removing the chain to clean it. It stays on the bike.

Interesting commentary on diesel fuel since I know someone who is looking to get rid of a 1/4 full oil tank (for their oil burning furnace that's going to be replaced by a heat pump). I assume I could get some of that and give it a try.

Last edited:
Both of our bikes have a removable chain, so for them I use my solvent tank. But a similar substance would be mineral spirits.

for a chain cleaner tool: ZEP Orange Degreaser

FOr my MTB, since I use a wet lube, I usually relube after each ride and wipe the excess. If it's bad enough, odorless mineral spirits, then relube.

for my road bike, as I use white lightning clean ride... after each ride, lube and wipe

I think it's white lightning I use, seems to stay reasonably clean, but the chain still wears internally. But much better than the older lubes.

I have one of the on-bike cleaners, and it seemed easy to get cleaning fluid all over the place. Might try it again this winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back