Low Mileage OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2006 Chevy P/U with the 4.3 V6 that I only drive 2k to 3k miles per year. Most of the miles are during hunting season, between November and January. Except for the winter months the truck makes occasional short trips around town or might sit for several weeks until I take it out for an hour or so just to drive it. I usually change the oil in October and April with PYB 5-30 and a NAPA Gold filter.

I've been thinking about switching to a full synthetic and just changing the oil in October before most of the annual use occurs. Would it make any difference, or is it just six of one and a half dozen of another?

I would change it after the hunting season. Good to get the engine and exhaust fully hot once a month to deal with water or fuel in the oil and water in the exhaust system.

With mileage that low, once a year would be fine, assuming a healthy engine. Maybe perform a UOA to be sure.

You don't think it better for the bulk of the years mileage to be on fresh oil?

Or is your reasoning that it is better to have fresh oil in when the vehicle is going to be laid up most of the time?

I would have thought that the oil.would still be in pretty good shape after the relatively busy hunting season as it would only have a couple of thousand miles on it.

Full synthetic once a year sounds exactly what I would do in those circumstances and usage.

IMO....once a year.... preferably prior to winter and the hunting season....and PYB is 5w30 is a great oil. In thinking about it...you might even go 2 years if your only doing 2k to 3k a year.

Be sure to get that vehicle out for a 40 to 50 mile highway drive...at least twice a month....to eliminate water and fuel in the oil.

What oil filter are you using...IMO a Purolator Classic would be perfect

PYB, once/year. The oil doesn't know what time of year it is. The additives will deplete as they choose to, so changing the oil at a certain time of year doesn't make much sense to me (i.e., whether it's before or after hunting season, the oil will either have sufficient additive or it won't; it'll either be able to do its job or it won't.) The oil will still do its job, even after well used, so long as the additive package is not depleted.

Last edited:
Once a year on a conventional oil? I was hesitant to go that long on a full synthetic. I don't discount the advice I've been given, but I thought I was stretching it by going to six months instead of the three months dictated by conventional wisdom. The oil does still look good when I change it at six months though, so I'll give it a try.

Yep, I have a 1990 model Chevy pickup that doesn't get driven much but when it does, I make sure that it gets up to temp and stays there for a while...I use regular oil and change it when it gets between 2,500 and 3,000 miles no matter how long it takes to get there - usually 18 months to 2 years. This OCI is a follow up second rinse to ARX using 4qts Rotella 30 grade with 1 qt MMO...next will probably be a 5w30 with a maintenance dose of Auto RX thrown in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back