Best grease for window regulator tracks

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I have the door skin off on my 82 300CD, and the regulator track grease, though there, isnt looking the cleanest. What should I use as a refresh?

I have dow Molykote 33 (IIRC), and I seem to recall that it is a good all temperature grease for automotive use. Molykote 33 is a Li soap grease with silicone oil.

Dow Corning actually recommends Molykote AI-6159, which is a PAO in Li-soap with PTFE and other additives, but it isnt easy to buy, and Ive generally seen it in 35kg pails...

Both seem to be plastic-compatible and both seem to be for auto use, though 33 seems oriented towards ball bearings, and the 6159 towards sliding parts.

Recommendations?

Thanks!

The best-I am not sure.
The most accessible-I used large amounts of Vaseline on my window regulator on my old MB and didn't have any problems for several years until I got rid of it.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
I like your quest for the best product. I'm like that as well. That being said I think a lot of the OEs use generic white grease. Or at least in the past.

Definitely not MB. It is something else. They call it sliding paste, and nobody has really found the source to get an equivalent.

Important to clean the old, dried grease off first. Probably many would suffice, not sure about Vaseline though. I used white lithium. Why? - because I had it and it works well in many applications. Doubt a special type is needed.

I've been using a light grease like AC Delco ST100 universal grease, Delco Remy ball and roller bearing grease or General Electric Ball Bearing Grease. I always worry about it being to thick when cold more than anything and these stay fairly light at all temps

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
They call it sliding paste, and nobody has really found the source to get an equivalent.
Gleitpaste. Huh.

Some Google sleuthing indicates that the spec is MB 269.2 and it's an NLGI grade 2 grease made from a calcium complex soap and a synthetic base oil.

For sunroofs (the other application of MB gleitpaste) Molykote recommends PG-65, which is an NLGI 2 lithium/PAO grease. It's probably just as hard to find as AI-6159.

I was working on a slow Ford power window and after cleaning the regulator beam, cable, etc. with Breakfree CLP on a paper towel the window operated quicker than it did after I greased it with a bit of Pro-Shot Gold Grease. (It was the only grease I had on hand) So I cleaned some of the grease off with CLP and left it like that. Its been over a year and it still works great.

I don't know if I would use CLP as a lube on a scissor or gear type of window, but I'd use it for cleaning.

Silicone spray in the rubber channels can make a big difference in how easy the window moves as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back