Which Inner Tube (does it really matter)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure what the diff is between brands and types, I have an older Mongoose D70 I need to get new tubes for, would the walmart stuff do ok or should I get a more expensive type/brand?

I plan to start riding more often after the bike sat for a few years about 2 miles one way to work and back 4 miles a day 5 days a week. Maybe some occasional riding in the park on the weekend.

tubes are tubes, doesn't matter. before you replace them, however, are you sure the old ones aren't holding air?
my experience has been that tubes hold up a LONG time, longer than tires, since they aren't exposed to sun, heat, or wear.

The bike sat out in a shed. Not sure if that matters and no I haven't tried to fill them up with air yet. I will need to buy an air pump soon, any recommendations on a good pump that will last me a long time?

Originally Posted By: Scotty1981
I will need to buy an air pump soon, any recommendations on a good pump that will last me a long time?

They are sometimes pricey, but Blackburn's lifetime guarantee is worth it's weight. I had a pump replaced with no questions asked after many years of use.

This is going to be a 2 mile commute to work and then 2 miles home on a walmart MTB, it was the higher end walmart, I believe I spent 600 on it back in 1998 maybe 500. Would this be ok for such a short ride or should I consider a road bike vs the older MTB I have now? I don't have much cash maybe I could come up with 400 bucks if I could find something decent out there used.

FWIW, I frequently do 10-15 miles/day on a $130 Walmart MTB I bought back in 2005 with no issues. The only thing I changed was put on skinnier tires on it since most of my riding is on paved trails.

As for air pump, I just use the same air compressor that I use for my cars.

I did get some smoother less knobby tires a few years back, can't really tell too much of a difference. I found an old air pump at my parents today that works. I'll pump it up and test it(the pump and the ride) out tomorrow. If all goes well and I end up not hating the ride I may park my scooter and use the bicycle for the work commute to work.

Got air in the tubes they hold well, bike just doesn't seem to fit me well anymore and riding it really isn't comfortable, plus it isn't the best bike for my needs anymore.

What should I look for on Craigslist? I'm looking for a commuter style bike, preferably with fenders, chain guard and a nice comfortable seat.

I don't have much cash but as long as the bike works I don't need top of the line either.

Since you're having issues with fit.... I'm a proponent of your local bike shop to size things properly and fit you to your bike..... it will cost more.

Sounds like a hybrid bike would be best.... then you can add fenders and such.

If you have buddies that can assist you with sizing & fit... then you can go with the online route, such as www.bikesdirect.com

...a walmart MTB, it was the higher end walmart, I believe I spent 600 on it back in 1998 maybe 500.

huh?

when did WM EVER sell bikes in that price range?

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Since you're having issues with fit.... I'm a proponent of your local bike shop to size things properly and fit you to your bike..... it will cost more.

Sounds like a hybrid bike would be best.... then you can add fenders and such.

If you have buddies that can assist you with sizing & fit... then you can go with the online route, such as www.bikesdirect.com

Agreed.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
...a walmart MTB, it was the higher end walmart, I believe I spent 600 on it back in 1998 maybe 500.

huh?

when did WM EVER sell bikes in that price range?

It's a Mongoose D70 it was 499.96 at Walmart in 1999.

Tried to ride it the other day but it is def. not for commuting. I will be heading to a bike shop my brother in law just bought a bike from and has been pretty happy. Performance Bike I think it is called. I was looking at some pedal assist Ebikes but I am in the 500 or less price range and this Ezip Trailz I looked at didn't seem quality. I may just get an older model on sale at the bike shop for around 300 they seemed to have a few that were 700 new but marked down since they are 2011 models.

Geax Streetrunner tires - best commuter mtb tires i've tried now my fav. the 1.2s were a ---- to get on and off so i stick w/ 1.6
gfstr2-1.jpg

i ran Specialized Nimbus way back and tried michelin city smooths but geax is faster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back