VW Passat oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any advice on oil for 2012 Passat 2.5L 5cyl 170 hp DOHC. The dealer has an oil but what else is out there?

M1 0w40 would be my choice. Once I use up my supply of GC I got cheap, that will be my fill of choice. VW approved too.

If you arent concerned about warranty, T6 has proven to work well. Amsoil is a great choice as well, with several choices available.

IDk why this engine would need a 40 unless you are autobahn storming daily. Understressed 2.5 5cyl. VW running bearing clearances over 0.0020" ? These engines spec castrol SLX pro on approval?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
IDk why this engine would need a 40 unless you are autobahn storming daily.

It doesn't need a 40, but it needs an oil meeting VW 502.00 spec to comply with warranty requirements. It just so happens that M1 0w-40 is one of the easiest to find VW 502.00 oils at retail level. Syntec 0w-30 and Syntec 5w-40 are two others.

ARCO, the Castrol SLX Pro OE is a 504/507 oil, which is still ACEA A3/B4. In this case, it's a heavy 5w30.

Another vote for M1 0w40, easy to find, meets VW specs, high TBN, great add pack, terrific demonstrated performance, what more could you want?

Arco...in theory, would a quality syn probably work just fine? Yes. For warranty purposes, you gotta use a VW 502 oil.

I do agree with with a 6 quart sump, other things would work, even something like PU or PP. I might experiment later, but with the deals to be found on M1 0w40, it makes sense.

"Castrol SLX Professional OE 5W-30 is specially formulated to exceed the requirements of VW 505
01, 505 00 and 502 00; MB 229.51 and ACEA C3 specifications."

I agree that 0w40 is readily available WALMART)and most likely MUCH less expensive.

VW Oil changes are free during warranty period? A Woman I work with has a newish jetta 2.5/5 and her husband changes the oil in between the "free" dealer changes.

There's another SLX Professional 504/507 that's 5w30 -- my mistake.

And yes, VW has no-cost maintenance. That's basically 3 oil changes (every 10k).

I have a 2012 Jetta with the same I5 engine. I personally would run the M1 0w40 hands down. Since this is NOT a DI engine it will work great.

You are utilizing the free oil changes every 10k, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back