Cooper Discoverer A/T3 - experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since this tire has now been on the market for well over a year now (it was announced almost two years ago), can anyone give their experiences with it?

My biggest concerns are noise and ride quality.

Thanks.

I have put 18k miles on the discoverer AT/3's on my F150 since last November and have been impressed with them so far. The tread seems to be wearing well, and I haven't noticed any more road noise than the BF Goodrich rugged trail T/As that I had on it before, and the ride quality has also been good compared to other tires.

I haven't used them off road much but they did well in snow last winter, and have got good traction on wet pavement. Overall, I'd definitely say their good tires for the money, with their performance and the fact that they come with a 55,000 mile warranty.

Last edited:
I put them on my old F250 diesel about 15K ago, and I couldn't be happier. This truck murders tires with it's goofy front suspension and almost 4000lb on the front axle, but these have held up very well. They're pretty quiet on the highway, no 'howl' like a typical off-road tire, although something like a Michelin LTX might be quieter. It's hard for me to assess the ride quality, because I run them at 65 or 70 psi and my truck suspension is basically 1940s technology...
cry.gif
In my opinion, where these tires really shine is off-road. Very tough carcass, they resist rock cuts or sidewall damage very well. Just last weekend we took a trek out across the desert in Anza-Borrego and I got myself into a long stretch of really deep sand...usually that's a showstopper in this truck. I was totally impressed with the A/T3s, they had just the right amount of "dig" and luckily I had the horsepower to keep all 4 spinning to get me through. These are a quantum leap ahead of the BFG AT's I took off of there. Definitely recommended if you need the traction.

Been a great tire on my 2010 dodge ram 2500. this tire shines everywhere except mud where it packs up real fast and becomes slicks.
stuck.jpg

Close up of cleaner tire.
cooperAT3tread.jpg

Last edited:
I am debating also, will soon replace 275/55/20 on my 2010 F150 FX4. right now I have a tough choice between the Michelin LTX MS2 or Cooper AT3. Lots of good reviews for both.

Originally Posted By: WTJackalope
I am debating also, will soon replace 275/55/20 on my 2010 F150 FX4. right now I have a tough choice between the Michelin LTX MS2 or Cooper AT3. Lots of good reviews for both.

Same decision I'm trying to make. I might try the a/t2. Just don't know if the michelins are aggressive enough for deep snow/mud I encounter during hunting in the winter.

I'm thinking about picking these tires up for my RX. After rebates and all, a set of 4 tires will only cost me $303. I'll have them installed for free at my uncle's shop.

I have a set of 275/60R20 on my dodge work truck. Coming up on 35k. Oilfield roads. These tires are ride smooth and are quiet.
They have done well in the snow and mud for me. I will purchase a set of these for my own personal truck once needed.

These are great tires.

My new set of Cooper Discoverer AT/3's showed up today (they were on backorder). They are fresh, fresh, fresh! Date code on the sidewall is 3412. That's the 4th week of August of this year!

They look good. However, it will be a couple of months before I mount them up. Won't really need them on the truck until closer to the time that sn*w starts flying.

Only bought them now to be able to bundle the DTD $100 rebate and the $75 Cooper rebates.

4 - 16" tires for a 1/2 ton GMC pickup for $289 delivered? Score!

I'm also pleasantly surprised with the set that I ordered, that they have double the amount of "micro-sipes" on them, than what shows in ridgerunner's "cleaner" picture, and that they're a lot "squigglier" in shape. More like the micro-sipes on my Michelin LTX's on my Silverado.

(Yeah, I'm pitting the Cooper up against another similar truck with LTX's,.... stay tuned)

I'm guessing this is something that they've either changed in production between the time that his were made and mine were made? Possibly they learned something between then and now?

I should have taken some pictures when I was next to the tires at lunch, but they were already stacked up in a dark garage.... :^(

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I'm also pleasantly surprised with the set that I ordered, that they have double the amount of "micro-sipes" on them, than what shows in ridgerunner's "cleaner" picture, and that they're a lot "squigglier" in shape. More like the micro-sipes on my Michelin LTX's on my Silverado.

(Yeah, I'm pitting the Cooper up against another similar truck with LTX's,.... stay tuned)

I'm guessing this is something that they've either changed in production between the time that his were made and mine were made? Possibly they learned something between then and now?

I should have taken some pictures when I was next to the tires at lunch, but they were already stacked up in a dark garage.... :^(

Will you be able to post some pics? I'd really appreciate it as I'm trying to decide between this tire and the michelin ltx ms2, if the at3 double the sipes I think I've made my decision!

Volk-

The tires are in storage out at the farm, and I live in town. I'll get some pictures sometime this weekend and post them. It might be today, it might be Sunday... but I'll get some.

Volk-

The tires are in storage out at the farm, and I live in town. I'll get some pictures sometime this weekend and post them. It might be today, it might be Sunday... but I'll get some.

Awesome!

I didn't get the pictures, I never made it to the farm this weekend. :^(

Right now, I'm sitting in a hospital room, at my mother's bedside.

The next time that I'm at the farm though....

I'm sorry to hear that. Family always comes first. I wish you and your mom the best.

I also just put a set of the Cooper AT3's on my 4Runner...amazing tire. After 800 miles here's what I think...American made (can it get any better), super value ($400 less than the Michelins), great ride (got the air pressure dialed in), no highway noise (same as or less than the Cross Terrains I replaced)...need I say more. Thanks for the information and advice.

Originally Posted By: volk06

I'm sorry to hear that. Family always comes first. I wish you and your mom the best.

+1 I wish you and your family the best

My new set of Cooper Discoverer AT/3's showed up today (they were on backorder). They are fresh, fresh, fresh! Date code on the sidewall is 3412. That's the 4th week of August of this year!

They look good. However, it will be a couple of months before I mount them up. Won't really need them on the truck until closer to the time that sn*w starts flying.

Only bought them now to be able to bundle the DTD $100 rebate and the $75 Cooper rebates.

4 - 16" tires for a 1/2 ton GMC pickup for $289 delivered? Score!

The Cooper Discoverer A/T3 tires are getting mounted up on the Sierra as I write this.

Anxious to see how they preform, compared to the Michelin LTX's on the Silverado.

With two rebates, the Coopers were half the price of what I paid for the Michelins on the Silverado.

And hopefully, I can sell the old tires on Craigslist for $100, and get the price of the Coopers down even farther.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back